Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sneakers match the kit


Image courtesy Mark Suprenant

To tell you the truth, I didn't notice it until Hup Matt pointed it out... Even then it took me two days to realize what he was talking about. The front is the old style Michelin Mud, wider than the new ones. Worked well. The rear is an IRD Crossfire. Great tread for grass, but the cross section of this 700x32 tire isn't as large as the Mud, and it needs to be inflated pretty firmly to avoid pinching. For this course these were fine except for in the popular photo op spot depicted here (I like this angle with the full lower half of the course in it much better than most I've seen). The entire section behind the backstop was pretty bumpy, and you needed to put the power down there, so soft tires would have been an advantage. I must say though, I'm quite humored by riders way, way back at the dull end of the pack debating the merits of $150 tubulars over clinchers. If you look at the top 10 riders in the master's race, all of them are outstanding time trialists on the road. It's not like they were making all the time on you in the corners... Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment