Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Winter Sports



I don't know how you guys do it. Ok, maybe I do, but personally I'm not feeling the love for winter this year. I don't even enjoy shoveling like I used to; I caved this past weekend and used a snowblower instead. It smelled like unburned gas and I swear it took just as long, but I don't care. If it snows more I'll use it again.

My snowshoes are just hanging in the basement. Cold and wet simply doesn't sound good. There are skis down there too, a beginner classical set. Under "perfect" conditions I can barely manage to stay upright enough to get a decent workout. I lost a basket from one of my good poles (huh-huh) last year and I haven't made the effort to replace it. I guess it's just not for me.

The streets are a mess, so I'm not motivated to run on my gimpy foot. It's been pretty cold for riding, but we're getting to the point where I'll need to do some soon, indoors or out, like it or not. Speaking of indoors, there's always the structural fitness stuff. I have still not managed to do 100 pushups in under 5 minutes. Murat claims he can do it no problem, but with those hairy man-boobs of his he probably doesn't have to bend his arms past 45 degrees before bottoming out. As for Colin's 15 pullup challenge, I can do that, the only caveat being it takes me about a week and a half. He never specified a time limit...

They won't let me in the studio room at the gym this year, I guess they haven't forgotten last year's sand-all-over-the-place from smashing open a 30 pound plyoball incident. Oops. I haven't even swung the sledgehammer that much lately because my rebounder (an old portable speedbump made of rubber that they use to drag the horse track at work) is buried under the snow.

And how does XC skiing work without a power meter anyway? Thanks for reading.

Update! for the ilbrucie comment on the zencycle saga

No comments:

Post a Comment