Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not Again...



WTF has happened around here? More charts and graphs than Ross Perot. Or maybe even Murat. I figured out how to isolate intervals in GC v1.3, and it's actually very slick. You can now use the "find best intervals" tool, save them with one click, and then plot them, framed by the ride using different colored dots, or isolated by themselves, like they are here. The power of FOSS at our service.

Anyhow, this is the combination of two trips up the Big Blue Hill access road. The first one took 5:40 and was 386 watts, which means I'm a little fat, or maybe I need to zero the torque, as that's higher than expected for this speed. The second was 404 and 5:15, same situation. Could be a combination of wind, obesity, very full seat bag, and two full water bottles. Anyhow, the average cadence was a mere 68 rpm. The first time up I was just trying to keep it steady and not spike the power, as I'd planned on doing it twice and know from experience how badly that goes if the first one is too hard. I used my 39x23 a lot but never went for the 25, staying seated as much as possible. Between the ride down and some rolling around the museum lot, I had seven minutes recovery before trying again, this time with feeling. 39x19 to start, I think, then the 21? Lots of standing, trying to focus on breathing as deeply as possible rather than panting and closing up the chest. During the hardest parts at the top, I try to drop myself into a trance, visualizing oxygen molecules jumping from my lungs to my bloodstream (they look suspiciously like Scrubbing Bubbles according to my vivid imagination). Open up your vessels and let the blood flow! Or maybe I'm just weird like that. It seems to work, for me anyway, and I almost feel like I can stave off going anaerobic with this technique.

There's no conclusion here, except maybe that I'm nuts. In the next few weeks I'm going to try to bang out some flatland intervals at VO2 max and see if I can cluster the dots in the yellow zone but shifted over to the right. Just for scrubbing bubble giggles. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment