Friday, February 17, 2006

2006 - Day 48

Tomorrow marks the half way point between January 1, the traditional start of the training year, and April 8, the day of the first real race on the NE USCF calendar (the lines between training races and real races have been blurred, so maybe there is something sooner than that, but too bad. I am going with the April 8 Ninigret as the official start of the season. Not that this guarantees that I will go...).

For me, the first two weeks of January are considered break time, and I like to make January 15 the low point of my fitness. From that point on it should be improving. With cyclocross going into December, I don't want' to start too early. The road season didn't used to start until late April, which made a lot more sense, but promoters seem to have figured out that absence make the heart grow fonder, and all the JNC's (January National Champions) will be itching to race, and will fill up any field early in the season. By summer, many of them will be nowhere to be found, and lots of great races will have fields half the size of the spring not-so-classics. But I digress...

No matter what your training program, we are getting close enough to the season that you have to start working now, if you have not already. If you have any plans of racing in April or May, do not delay your base conditioning any longer. OK, this was a crappy post, but I have to go run.

Ideas for future posts (you can vote, but this is mostly a note to myself so I don't forget):

1) Names I have been called
2) Why do all these triathlete bloggers have running races on their scheds, but no TT's?
3) The history of my bike ownership, all the way back to first grade.
4) Why don't bike racers show more love to promoters
5) How to grow the sport of bike racing (a sub-topic of #4)
6) let's hear your ideas

2 comments:

  1. Hey, the Ninigret is actually April 15th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are actually races at Ninigret on both April 8th (Chris Hinds, formerly in Lincoln, but banned by the town, so they moved it to Ninigret), and another one, Foundry Sports on April 15th. I think there are two more later in May and June. Duano will probably go to all of them.

    ReplyDelete