Monday, January 22, 2007

New longest run

Sunday I fled the Great White North and headed down to the patchy white south of the north, the jewel just over the border, the Tijuana of New England, Nashua! There was a dusting of snow and ice in most parts of Mine Falls Park, but in the sun along the canal the ground was melted bare. In the woods the wind had knocked down enough twigs and pine needles to dirty up the crystallized snow/ice coating, providing ample traction for trail shoes. I left from the Cronoman's house around noon, temps were in the high 20's at least, and it was not too windy. The Cronoman even came along on his mountain bike and handed me up water as needed.

The plan was to get in 14-15 miles, so I kept the pace reasonably slow, but high enough to keep warm. At first I think I was in the low 8's, but eventually the tip-toeing over some of the icy sections slowed me down, and later fatigue took a tool as well. Mines Falls is pretty flat, so I soldiered on. It was nice to be able to drink when I needed it. Thanks to the Cronoman. Near the end we looped back and forth along the canal road because that was the clearest dirt section. Wound it up with 15.0 miles in 2:06, and 8:25 average pace for my longest run ever to date. Not too bad, and I managed to dodge the snow and stay on plan for one more week. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Solo you stud, come down to balmy (30 whole degrees)NY and run a marathon with me. Sounds like you're a natural. And with more activity you'll be less likely to make those brutal nodcasts--idle hands and all.

    3bicoastalboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete