Thursday, October 28, 2010

Downeast CX Day 1



There's no substitute for cubic inches. Your hero opens up the throttle to put some distance between himself, Derek, and Chip.

Since I didn't do so well, this might start off as a different sort of race report. If you were there, you might be bored. This is for those who missed it. Downeast was awesome. All the amenities of a Verge series race, but with only about half the people, in a huge and relaxing farm setting. The course was fantastic. Just about every surface you could imagine was included: heavy farm grass, groomed lawn grass, tacky mud, slippery mud, gravel, hardpack, pavement, concrete, and even little bits of sand and cow shit. I thought it was pretty Euro, especially the pasture and the 300+ meter paved incline that's missing from so many of our races. And there was some elevation change, but all of it was swoopy up and down for that roller coaster/berm-shot feel. On the Friday pre-ride, before the grass had been broken in, the course seemed sure to be heavy and slow, but after a few thousand laps of tamping, I ended up doing both days entirely in my 46T big chainring.



The weather was awesome on day 1, crisp and clear.



Me and Derek Griggs (KHS) seem to find each other every race this year. He told me I'm his top Crossresults nemesis.



Robin got another chance to race East-coast CX, doing the double in the 3/4 women. Big fields and cooler temps were a welcome change! Photo by Don McEwan

So like I mentioned yesterday, I started near the back. On the pavement I thought I did OK, but then at the first little roller coaster dip someone from ECV had a foot down for some reason and I got pinched. Then on the loose gravel behind the fire truck garage there was a sprawling crash, pretty much blocking the course. Great start. Not. Chip was right in front of me, but he moved up smartly for four or five spots while I got frustrated for most of first lap. This was my first race with not just one, but two Challenge Fangos gifted to me by Soups. They were better than my old tires, but my real problem is my bike doesn't fit me so well. The combination of short, 42 cm chainstays, HUGE setback, 15 mm too-long-for-me top tube and generous fork rake leave me with way too much rear weight bias. I've got the saddle almost slam-forward, and a 100mm stem, so my pedaling position is pretty close to my road bikes, but with no weight on the front wheel I just can't turn this thing on gravel or slippery stuff. At least that's my story. I've been chasing a new bike for a while now, but that's another frustrating tale, and it looks like I'll be on this sled for a bit more yet. I know, excuses...

On the pavement, as we see up top, I moved up. I may be a little (cough) heavy right now, and losing fitness, but I still found a turn of speed when I needed one. Eventually I settled in to a race-long battle with Derek, who just wouldn't go away. I'm not sure if we reeled in many riders or not, as sometimes it's difficult to tell who is a 55+ being lapped and who is just coming back in the 45+. In the end I crossed in 27th (I think 45 starters), a full 4:00 down on the winner. Not what I'd hoped for, but I honestly felt good the entire race, no dead laps, and I was digging for speed on all the power sections beginning to end. This was a real sprint workout for me. The only rest sections were in the tight turns, and the rest was out of the saddle, don't let up stuff. That's all I got today, enjoy the pictures, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment