Tuesday, May 16, 2006

All last night, sat on the levee and moaned...

OK, after Zoo's flood pictures post that one was a lay up. On the rare occasions when we ride east out of Nashua from the Cronoman's house, we ride over that Rt 111 bridge to get to Route 3A and Feltslave country. That water is damn high. KL said the other night going home through Manchester, the water cascading through the spillway next to Wannalancit Mills was unbelievably spectacular. Down here (I live 20 miles southwest of Boston) we only got a third of the foot of rain that the Merrimac Valley (home of Team BOB) received.

Today there appears to be a faint hope that the sun will return and it seems remotely possible that there could even be a race at Wompatuck tonight. Doubtful, but I packed the bike and gear just in case. The Sunapee Road Race is this coming Saturday. I really feel like I need to get in a few good rides to open up before then. All the big boys from the talent-rich 45+ group raced at Bear Mountain in New York last Sunday, so I know they will be ready. Sunapee is another classic race that has been on the New England calendar longer than I have been racing. The course is a 23 mile loop around the lake. The profile includes numerous small climbs, several of which come in close enough succession over on the back side to be considered one long climb. The finish is on a short uphill road that leads from the state highway to the ski area parking lot. Sunapee is one of those races that is too hilly for the sprinters, but not a pure climber's race either--the kind of race I like. In the past, I have done well here, with a few top 5 finishes, but two years ago I also got completely shelled out on the first (of two) laps, so this is no cakewalk.

Last night I got on the trainer for 30 minutes to loosen up. I do a lot of really short workouts these days. My feeling is that they are better than nothing and help keep the legs loose, and also make my "real" workouts more productive when I do manage to get outside, because I am not all tight and stiff. What is your opinion of the short, lame workout? Years ago I wouldn't even bother if I couldn't get outside for at least an hour, and I wouldn't dream of touching the trainer during the season. A few years back I started bringing the trainer to crits for warmup, and the benefits are dramatic. I can get a much more effective warmup on the trainer than what I usually get trying to find decent roads in the vicinity of a typical crit. For my quickie workouts during the week, it is just a time saver (no clothing decisions to make, etc) and since I often don't get home from work until it is nearly dark outside, it just works. The past few years I have worked some commuting into the equation too, but for me the logistical challenges usually outweigh the benefit.

Hopefully the weather will turn for us. A week of rain is bad enough, but when it is like this and we are losing a week of some of the best daylight we get all year, then it really hurts. The days will be getting shorter before you know it, so get out there and make it happen when you get the chance. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, good luck with all that water! Regarding short workouts, it was raining here last night, so I hopped on the rollers for a quick 30 minutes, with a couple five minute hard sessions in the middle, followed by a good stretch. Just as you said, it loosened me up, and I'm sure I'll have a better ride because of it when I can get outdoors again. Long live the short ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the sunapee race course profile

    ReplyDelete