Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thirsty Thursdays

Today at work we started planning an outing to a Brockton Rox game. We thought about going during Fair Week, but that gets pretty crazy, and while stabbings may be interesting to watch, they are not something you want to be a participant in. A quick check of the schedule revealed "Thirsty Thursday presented by Narragansett Lager." Talk about a no-brainer. So June 15th it is. $2 drafts in the beer garden. Last year at the Rox, the cups in the beer garden bore advertising from a DWI lawyer: 1-800-NOT-DRNK. The mascot, a guy in a kangaroo suit, smelled like he probably know the lawyer pretty well. But we had a blast, so we are going back. The Rox are part owned by Bill Murray and they do a great job of making things entertaining, and it is cheap. So if you get tired of AFDs, by all means come on by. We'll be in right field.

With the rain this week, there is not much to report on the training front. Yesterday I went running, then spun on the trainer at night. This morning I did another trainer ride with some efforts. Today looks a bit drier outside, but tonight is massage night, so no outdoor ride. The weekend looks wet too. I am a bit concerned about the duathlon coming up in two weeks. It sounds easy enough on paper, but the running still totals nearly 10k, which is hard when raced, and a 28k TT on the bike is always hard when ridden properly. Doing them together will leave me sore, no doubt. This weekend I would like to do a practice event (is this what the multisporters mean when they say brick?). Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Last year KL did this duathlon and her bike time was only 4 minutes off the fastest. Normally at that distance I should beat her by 3 or 4 minutes, so I expect to be competitive there. On the runs, I expect to lose between 3 and 6 minutes on each one, depending on who shows up for this thing. I believe they are going to be 3 miles each, not 5k, but on grass, so I am hopeful to be able to do them in under 22 minutes each. I am not sure how that is going to work out in conjunction with a TT, so a test run this weekend would be a good idea.

I had a few other ideas for a post today, but this whole lame job thing keeps getting in the way. Maybe tommorow you can look forward to a review of some blogs I follow, or perhaps a rundown on the collection of sorry sacks of shit I call my teammates. Maybe even both! This is something that can't be rushed, so be patient. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment