Friday, May 5, 2006

Jiminy Weekend

The work week just ended for me. Tommorow, Jiminy Peak will take place, and Dave L, Joseph V, and me are all entered. Monday's blogs should be interesting. Joe somehow got stuck in the 4/5 field, which I think means he let his license expire and did not renew it for a while? Dave is in the 4 race, which means three times up the hill for him (hopefully), heh, heh. I of course will be in the 45+, trying to redeem myself after missing the front part of the split field last year in the 35+. Last year the wind was blowing hard up the gentle slope on Route 7, and on the second lap we went along between the rocks at criterium speeds. The elastic snapped and me and the Cronoman just missed being the last ones to make it into the 30 rider front group. We chased the last lap but to no avail.

As noted yesterday, JP was the site of my second race and first crash. On a brighter note, this was also the site of my first win, the 1991 Mass/RI District 30+ Road Race. Later that week I went on to win the 30+ District TT too, riding a 56:02. The overall winner that day was an 18 year old kid by the name of Tyler Hamilton who rode a 53:13. Good times.

So I know I can do it at JP, but the 45+ group is tough. The race will undoubtedly split under pressure at some point, and I'll have to decide whether to burn energy going with it (if I can!) or hang back and wait to see if we might hit the final ascent all together. Should be interesting.

Sunday we are going out west again to the Hollenbeck Road Race. Sounds hilly. There is no 45+, and the 35+ is only one 22 mile lap, so I might even think about the two lap 3/4 race. I guess I should get through JP first...

1 comment:

  1. You've got a good intuition about these things... Yes, I used to be a III, then I swithced to tri's and haven't held an annual USCF license (other than my coaching license) since. Hence, I race with the 4/5s.

    But to keep it real, I never really "race" - I simply "train" at the races ;-) I think that's only fair, and you can see for proof in the results pages.

    ReplyDelete