Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday Bike Fit

A few days ago cyclingnews ran a feature about the bike Lance Armstrong's is riding in the Giro. Most of you know that I'm not a raging Lance fan, but I do think it's cool that he raced at Biddeford and of course Fitchburg (where he cut me in line at the post race buffet!) back before he was famous outside of bike racing circles. Since I have a new Madone, I was checking over the feature to see how his cables were routed and things like that. This article lists very detailed measurements, similar to the fit stuff I've been doing to duplicate the position from my old bike to this one.

Here are my specs:


Frame: Trek Madone OCLV Black Series, 58cm

Critical measurements
Rider's height: 177 cm (5' 10") ; Weight: 77kg (169lb)
Saddle setback: 73mm
Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 753mm
Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 575mm
Handlebar drop: 85mm

Here are Armstrong's:

Frame: Trek Madone OCLV Red Series, 58cm

Critical measurements
Rider's height: 177 cm (5' 10") ; Weight: 73kg (161lb)
Saddle setback: 75mm
Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 753mm
Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 580mm
Handlebar drop: 80mm

So he's got 10 less years and 8 less pounds on him (I seem to recall that back when he was winning the Tour his claimed weight was closer to 150). I could pretty much ride his bike without adjustment. Other than his 12cm stem and spacer to my 11cm no-rise, the setups are within a couple of millimeters. Now it would be nice if they'd run a similar feature on his wind-tunnel tested TT bike position. I could use some help there. Thanks for reading.

Update:

Well, looks like they might read my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment