Friday, May 22, 2009

Race of Truth

Denis Menchov has to be feeling pretty good today. Stage 12 at the Giro featured the most demanding TT parcours of our time, with 60k of small Italian mountain roads. Beyond that though, GC was still wide open, meaning this TT would be contested by over a few dozen highly motivated riders. Even the domestiques had to ride nearly all out to avoid being eliminated from the race by the dreaded hors delay. The winner rode this pretty ordinary looking bike (well, for these days anyway), complete with low-dish climbing wheels. Most of the guys didn't wear aero helmets or even keep their skinsuits zipped up. This wasn't a typical contest to see who spent the most time in the wind tunnel or trained with specific focus; this race was about seeing who the best bike rider was today. Very cool.

In local competitions, time trials have seen a bit of a resurgence, but they're still shunned by many. They lost their luster when aero bikes came on the scene. The district TT used to get over 300 entries. Now this year we don't even have one. Many of the best riders stopped coming once you needed a TT bike. These guys were sponsored "pros" living hand to mouth and racing criteriums for money. Of course we still have TT stages in the big races, and the weeknight scene is thriving if the CBTT is any indication. Over 40 riders toed the line this week. I got to see Obie119 at the start, and to finally meet jtheskier too. The race attracts a mix of hardcore bike racers both decked out for TT practice or just getting a workout, triathletes, and more casual bike enthusiasts competing for fun.

Lots of riders ride CBTT cannibal, which is great to see. Of course I did too, going a few seconds better than two weeks ago. I think last week's pitiful time was somewhat of a fluke with my long sleeve jersey and leg warmers dragging me down in the cool headwind on Monument Road. Next time I go back I'll probably try the TT bike. This course certainly does not demand cannibal like Stage 12 at the Giro. Like most domestic time trials, Concord is wide open. The past few rides I've caught riders on aero bikes right around Carlisle center. Then on the downhill of Route 225 they open it up again. This week I just sat back because I knew trying to cleanly pass an aero rider at 54 kph was not a wise use of energy. Better to wait for the next roller.

That underscores the difference between a race like Stage 12 at the Giro and a typical flat TT. Most stage race promoters here in the US favor a non-technical contest. So do the riders it seems. At least the ones who like TTs anyway. Hell, there was even complaining at the Giro, from the ones you would expect to complain. The guys who've spent their careers riding behind a formation of teammates and outspending the competition on tunnel time and technology wanted no part of a course where you had to climb, power the flats, and descend better than everyone else. You know Menchov was loving it. Riding stage races for Rabobank, he's probably been isolated in 90% of the tough mountain stages. He knows how to ride a bike for himself.

At the Workingman's Stage Race, we have one of the more technical TTs around these days, but it's still an aero bike course for sure. Fitchburg has a new flatter TT course this year, which looks scenic, even including a causeway section, but decidedly non-technical. Killington of course used to have the hillclimb, but even that had a 55 kph downhill for the start. Way back I think Aaron Bagshaw promoted a stage race for juniors featuring a 50k test similar to what they had at the Giro, but of course I did not get to ride it. I think Altoona used to have a super short uphill prologue with some tight turns. Our districts course were all pretty much the straightest, flattest roads the promoters could find. The 1991 course in Westport Ma was the exception, it was flat, but at least it had some cool turns. We only had that one year though. I honestly can't think of too many other technical TTs. Except of course Mt A, which goes so far as to not allow aerobars at all. That and the dirt road sections scares off some would be hopefuls. That's too bad. The race deserves a higher level of competition. I would love to see something like that included in a stage race. Hmmmm.

jtheskier wanted a TT race report from Wednesday. I already hit the highlights. I rode cannibal, but it was warm so just a jersey and shorts, and I had the taped up helmet because that was the one in the bag. Maybe it's even worth a few seconds. I tried to pace myself, but again this week I forgot to swap cassettes so I had an 11-25 to go with my 34/50 crankset. This cluster has no 16 cog, meaning I either had to push the 15 or make a two cog jump down. Which is not a bad thing on some of the rollers at the end, but on the opening stretch it's a disadvantage. I opted for sticking in the 15. I caught the next rider after Carlisle but she opened it up big time on 225 and as noted, I hung back. Maybe not as far back as I'm supposed to, but at least a few bike lengths. Then I passed turning on to River Road. On this tough section I felt like I was doing much better than the last two times, but in fact I still slowed down. Last week I was worried about a painful death on the last big roller and held back, but this week I raced without fear. I still slowed down though, averaging 39 kph for the second half of the ride compared with 42 kph for the first section. My HR was pegged from 161-170 the entire way, much higher than last week. Taking six seconds off my prior best, my average speed topped 40 kph, just barely. I'll take it. Yet Dougie will be gleeful to note that I still got girled, but by a very talented and classy rider who was full aero, I might add. And oh yeah Murat, I had a power meter on there. I can't say that I'm too impressed with the utility of this device as a pacing tool. Maybe it would be more useful in an artificial race like the indoor TTs they hold on trainers. On a rolling course like this, you just ride as fast as you can go. I didn't hear Menchov talking about his power numbers after his win... Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment