Thursday, May 14, 2009

Random Mid-week post

Not a lot of deep thoughts today. Met another reader last night at the CBTT. I think he said his name was Neil. Always scary to get the "are you solobreak?" query at the races. I was ass-slow too. Maybe because of my bruised ass. I took the afternoon off work to try riding and see how it felt. Monday and Tuesday I could not push a gear in the saddle without pain. A decision on entering Sunapee had to be made because the field limits are just 75 riders and the 45+ field was filling up. Oddly enough, I felt fine riding, not so much pain when applying pressure to the pedals. I parked at the registration lot and went exploring up into Chelmsford and Westford before heading back past Nashoba Valley and across Acton and Carlisle back to Concord. I had 65k in at 5pm, with an hour and a half until race time. Riding with just plain water was not such a good idea, and my fuel reserves were on empty. Not wanting to attempt a TT with solid food in my stomach, I settled for a bag of Skittles (230 cal), half a Snickers energy bar, and a few bottles of Gatorade that I mixed up.

After setting up my bike on the trainer and registering, I lay down on a blanket to stretch. My tailbone friggin' killed! This is strange. It seemed much more tender to touch, yet I can pedal now. I'm hoping that this is not a case of the bruised muscles healing, but some cracked bone still being there. I honestly don't know. Another odd thing was Wednesday morning I had a private yoga lesson, and there was no pain. That's right, solobreak got his first formal yoga experience. It was awesome. This came in a package deal with the LT test, the functional movement screening, a massage, and an hour of pilates instruction. Turned out to be a good deal, but the yoga was the best part of all. I would probably go back for a few more sessions, but the instructor said she is leaving there soon. Bummer. Speaking of massage, doing the foam roller is not much fun when you have road rash. With only a few small scrapes, I managed, but it would be pretty impossible if things were much worse.

Back to the TT. I'm not sure why I was doing this again, but at least it was a good chance to do a long effort. I went cannibal, even wearing long sleeves, long gloves, and leg warmers. I tried to work on my pacing again but I faded anyway -- even though I wasn't going fast to begin with. Barely maintaining a 37 kph average, my time was a whopping 1:49 slower than last week. There was more wind, and I had more clothes, but meh. I entered Sunapee anyway. It was only $25 with the bikereg fee included, and they are the coolest club in New England except for BOB, so what the hell. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment