Thursday, April 20, 2006

A superstar, but he didn't get far.

The post title serves to pay homage to the Tour of Georgia, in which the TT will happen today, and also because it comes from my favorite 70's ballad that they play over the intercom at Roche Brothers while I shop. Someone I know gets quite embarrassed when I do my impromptu Pips act in the middle of the bread aisle...

Training has been going well, well enough that there is not enough glycogen left in my blood to fuel any philosophical or otherwise thoughtful posts. So write about training we shall. Batten Kill was the first test, and I have to give myself about a C-. My fitness should have been good enough for me to hang longer than I did. It WAS only the first race of the year, and I have yet to stop running, but those are pretty weak excuses. The experience does go to show there is more to fitness than being at race weight, that is for sure. Five minute tests on Big Blue only prove what you can do for five minutes.

The day after BKR I felt pretty good and rode a few hours, not too hard. The next day was marathon Monday, which I totally ignored. Monday night after work I headed over to the sweet Canton High running track for one of my best workouts of the season, 30 laps total, usually around 1:56 laps, but with three 800 meter efforts at 1:38/lap mixed in there. The whole thing took me an hour. Tuesday was an easy am spin and then a massage at night. Yesterday was good, an hour easy in the morning, then an hour and 45 at night doing two sets of 45 second intervals on the Silver City Flyer crit course. The first set I did six and the second set only three, because there is a race on Saturday and it was getting dark and time to head home.

The past eleven days I have over 18 hours on the bike, which although not huge, is substantial, so today I am off the bike save for fifteen minutes this morning after doing my core work. The next 18 days will have at least three if not five or six hard races, not counting Wompatuck, the cornerstone of my training. This is where it gets interesting. I still don't expect to get any results in these races, but I know I should emerge a lot stronger and ready for the summer. I have to start doing the super-hard stuff, which the 'tuck is great for, and also start working on TT stuff. Last weekend I found out the hard way that dreams don't always come true... ah-ha, hoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment