Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Everybody's doing their time

The WMSR, aka Trois Jour de Amesbury, is finally here. Tonight we have the TT on tap, and a 100% chance of strong thunderstoms predicted to be breaking the 90+ degree heat. The officials tend to freak out when lightning strikes, so hopefully they won't make a rash decision and call the stage. With 200 riders registered, even with 30 second start intervals we can't afford any delays if we're all to get all the racers in before dark. Keep your fingers crossed.

Physically, I feel ready. Last night I took the TT bike out with junky wheels for a 45 minute ride around town. My quads were a bit tight and sore from Sunday's efforts, so I'm glad I went. I should be fine tonight. Racing a short, intense event brings its own special pressures, as there isn't much room for mistakes. While not as bad as a kilo or a 100 meter dash or something, this race will be over in fifteen minutes (hopefully!). I checked over last year's data, and I only had heart rate and elevation because I had thrown together the TT rig the days before. My 15:17 got me fifth in the masters. Three of the four who finished ahead of me are pre-regged for this year, along with some new faces who rode very well at Fitchburg, and some of the usual suspects who may have been behind me last year, but are more than capable of coming up big tonight. Yeah, I know, every second counts. The weather could be a big factor too, as the course is technical. That's racing.

Time for me to get moving now. In an almost true Workingman's spirit, despite my living 75 miles away, I'm working a half day today, and a full day on Thursday. I'm going to see if my drop-damaged camera will cooperate and try to produce a photo essay of the experience for you. There may be a few big days at the Tour this week, but the REAL action is in Amesbury! To quote the slogans: Life is not a spectator sport. Get out there. Just do it Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. good luck FnF! here's to a quick and speedy time and a lack of thunder boomers....

    ReplyDelete