Friday, July 28, 2006

You can ride it if you like.

Will we be changing the spelling of his name to Floid? I can't be the first person to think of that. I wasn't rooting for him during the Tour, I'm not sure why, but I am now. This testosterone test has always been one that seems a bit flawed. Naturally, the freaks with high testosterone tend to be good athletes. We'll have to wait and see. At least the pressure will still be on to get doping out of the sport; hopefully it will return to being more of a sport than a business.

This week I've been very tired. After WMSR, Cronoman and I did an easy ride around Feltslave's neighborhood, getting soaked in a frog-swallowing deluge mid ride. The relief from the heat and humidity was welcome. More rain on Saturday, and general malaise on Sunday led to two more days off the bike. Come Monday, I still didn't feel like riding, but I managed a slo-mo spin around the 'hood just to keep rigor mortis from setting in. Tuesday, the desire to train still had not returned, so another dusk ride, only slightly more spirited than Monday's had to suffice. Wednesday I worked from home and was itching to ride, but by the time the evening rolled around my legs were sore and once again I was feeling burned out. I got on the bike and headed up the road at 7 pm, deciding to force the issue with a beginner style zone 3 ride, trying to keep up a high average speed. I managed to do 33k in an hour without ever digging too hard, and this seemed to wake me up a bit.

Thursday I wasn't sure about going to the TT. The Monson road race is Saturday morning at 8, and I wasn't too keen on killing myself just 40 hours prior. The day was warm, and I went down with the road bike to ride it cannibal, just so I could support the event. After working until 5:30, and due to a light turnout of only a dozen riders or so, my warmup ended up being all of eight minutes in zone two. Not so thorough. I figured I'd just ride it at LT, about 5-8 bpm lower than normal, and see where my time fell. On the line though, Graham Garber was starting two minutes behind me, and with a slight tailwind I knew I'd really have to motor to avoid being caught. No such luck. My lack of warmup held down my HR even though I wasn't exactly soft pedaling. My only real compromise was to go all the way to the 16 cog on the two rises. Still managing to keep my HR average down at 163, Graham flew by me with a few k to go, on his way to a course record 16:03, or so I heard. I'm not sure, because by the time I cooled down and turned back to the finish, they were all gone, so I don't know my official time. My Polar shows 18:13, not bad, only 7 seconds slower than my last cannibal ride, but I though my watch said 18:21 last night, so I'll need to wait until they publish results.

So there you have it Ge. Not much thoughtfullness in this post, but I'll try to do better over the weekend. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be sure to wave as you pass me on the hill during Monson.

    I forgot Cronoman was on school vaca, gonna have to call him up for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was thinkin about yall, sitting in the reception for the new exhibit...

    but not so much over the weekend - brain did the shut down 'work' thing

    ReplyDelete