Wednesday, July 19, 2006

WMSR - Stage 1 - Time Trial

This will be quick, as time is short today. Last night was the TT. The good news is the cold front that blew through about thirty minutes before our starts did not bring any thunderstorms with it, and the stage was completed for all riders. This was extra good because we had already spent a few hours huddled under the tent to escape the broiling sun and 90+ degree temps. This was not a lot of fun, especially "warming" up on the trainer.

The bad news, which is not that bad, is that I did not have the ride of my life. My time of 15:13 (26.02 mph) was four seconds faster than last year, but this was primarily due to the start and finish locations being changed, which shortened the course by thirty meters or so. In essence, I rode the same speed, despite having better form. Several technical mistakes hurt my time. I definetly did not nail the corners like last year, and I may have respected the rises on the course too much as well, as I felt I downshifted too soon for a couple of them. My performance was only good enough for 8th place in the Master's field, a whopping 37 seconds off the winning time of 14:36, posted by none other than Sammy Morse (there's that name again...).

The Bike Link guys laid waste, taking three out of the top four spots and putting five of their six guys in the top twelve. Sunapee put their best rider in third, so they will be a very active squad tonight. Best BOB was Ranger Rusnak, who was 7th, six-tenths of a second ahead of me. The Cronoman took 15th.

The goal tonight is to race hard and have fun. Thanks to Dave L for posting some pictures of the start. The camera added about twenty pounds to me. I will have to have Dave get some more tonight to prove that I am not really the fat load you see in that photo! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment