Sunday, July 30, 2006

If I chase it I might waste it

These past few midsummer nights have gone dreamless, due I suppose to lack of good solid sleep. My bedroom upstairs doesn't have AC, despite not being a problem until now, the past few nights were uncomfortable. Saturday we had a 90k road race out in Monson which started at 8:10 am. The Mighty KL raced with us in the Master 45+ men, as there was no women's race for her at this event. We got there at the last minute, but made the start, unlike a few other BOBs...

Master 45+ races always feature breakaways, and this one was no exception. Tom Officer (CYBC-Richard Sachs) and I believe Bill Thompson (Bethel) went clear on the long grade up US 20 into Brimfield, less than 15k into the race. Going with this one never crossed my mind, as the long uphill stretch that comes at 50k down would surely be where the race was made. Not too many others were interested in the duo either. They got two or three minutes clear, but KL, of all people, was up front doing some pacemaking for our group. Duano and I hung out at the back trying to keep Garabed in the race, as he was a bit sick and struggling. We pushed him and encouraged him for a while, but the wheel van driver was getting antsy and wanted to come around us, so we had to abandon him. It felt like we were clinging to a liferaft, fighting to keep him alive, but then we gave up and let him sink under, watching him drown. Sorry dude.

Not long after that, the course turns mostly downhill, and it was shady too, so despite the forecast heat, I was very comfortable. No real chase was underway, but we were moving fast. When we approached the long climb, which goes past the finish, I was too far back in the group. On the initial slope, I banzaied up the bumpy pavement on the right hand side of the road, making rapid progress toward the front. KL followed suit. The road levels off for a while before turning upward again where the finish line is, so I tucked into the group. The original break of two was not far ahead, and a few riders, including Pearce for BOB, had started to move across to them. I could not go at this point, as I needed a breather after moving up. On the steeper pitch, I jumped out ahead, and Norton told me from the sidelines it was twenty seconds to the now-regrouped break of six riders. Being on my limit, and only about five seconds clear of the bunch, I sat up after getting a fresh bottle from Michelle Hurley in the feed zone. Thanks Michelle!

The rest of the way up the stairstep climb, the pace was pretty civilized. The wheel van roared by us near the top, indicating they thought the break was at least a minute up. Our group was around 35 riders by the time we turned back onto Route 32 to do the loop again. We eased way up as most teams were represented in the break, with only CCB-Evil Empire missing the move. Apparently the break also got some assistance from groups of riders who had been dropped from the Cat 2/3 and Master 35 races which started ahead of us. When our wheel van came upon one such group, he thought it was the break and so he stopped and waited for us to come by, creating much confusion as we too momentarily thought that we had caught them, but no such luck.

Coming around the Connecticut portion of the course and heading back toward Monson, about 10K from the finish climb, we saw Pearce at the side of the road with a flat. Only Timmy Shea and I were still in for BOB, with the others all having lost contact on the climb. Tom Cormier also got stung in the tongue by a bee, so it really wasn't his day. Now that Timmy and I no longer had a man in the break, we had to do something. It was really too late to chase, as if we did we'd be blown for the finish climb, so Timmy slipped off the front with Tommy Mannion (CCB), while I just surfed wheels up front. They got out of sight, maybe a minute ahead by the start of the finish climb.

There is a pretty sharp turn on to the finish road, and normally all hell breaks loose about a half mile out as riders fight for position. For some reason though, I was able to lead into the turn totally unmolested, taking the best line and carrying speed into the hill. This was a surprise, but since I found myself a good fifteen bike lengths out in front of the group, I figured I may as well commit, and made an attack up the first steep portion. Approaching the level spot, Timmy was just ahead, struggling. Mannion had dropped him and he was way up the road at this point. Going by Timmy, he told me "good gap" so I big-ringed it over the false flat, rapidly closing in on Mannion. At 300 meters to go, I looked back and knew I would stay ahead of the charging field, so I gunned it by Tommy right where it gets steep again and he could not respond. I easily made it to the line ahead of the field sprint for 6th. Tommy got swallowed and newly crowned 50+ National Criterium champion Paul Curley took 7th in his brand-new stars and stripes skinsuit.

Another master race, another missed break, another "best of the rest" finish. The day's take of $55 brought my 2006 winnings total up to a whopping $345, maybe my third best year ever. Not sure about this week coming up. Concord and Bow are two great races, but I'm on call next Saturday night, and now my car is all f'd up too, further complicating my simple peasant life for the week. I'll have to see how it goes. After a very easy ride Sunday, my legs are feeling quite good right now. July had only 36 hours total on the bike, but with 7 hours of sub-LT (zone 4, 150 bpm) or above, in contrast to May and June's 40/6 totals. Hopefully I can get some rest and still rebuild in late August for an assault on the Green Mountain and Bob Beal stage races in September. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine charing up that hill for a 6th place finish, I was having a hard enough time just making my way up it. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 55 big ones dude. well done!

    p.s. i haven't been dieting, just trying to eat less carbs when i'm not loading up or recovering. i had a steak dinner with vegetables the night before as an example, but that was all i was running on for the first half hour... won't happen again.

    p.p.s. wonder if anyone ever slept through alarms for their Ironman, a years worth of training down the drain... talking about not dreaming -- that's nightmare material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutritional advice from a pro triathlete MMMM, D0-0-0-0-0-NUTS. And he still needed an IV afterwards, one reason I'm not really on board with the whole Ironman thing.

    ReplyDelete