Friday, June 22, 2007

More subbing for Ge

I rode to work three times this week! That must be a record. Today I made it in just 39 minutes, despite having to wait a few minutes at the train crossing. I'm not sure that I really save any money though, as I spend at least an extra buck on breakfast when I get here, and probably eat more during the day too.

I've been following the exploits of the IF/Lionette's local heroes at the Tour of Ohio. The competition must be brutal, because these guys are pretty damn good, and well, it looks like they are having a rough time of it. Support your local D3 Pros, at least the friendly ones.

Still waiting for Il Bruce to serve us up some more of his wool jersey wisdom. The comments are great and all, but there's just too much there for RI's premier retro rider to keep it all to himself. BTW Brucie, Billy Rounds has been terrorizing Wompatuck lately. That's it for now, looks like another crit at Ninigret for me this weekend. Have fun on the bike and off, thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's three Billy Rounds references this week. Tuesday's gumby cruise included a woman who's brother raced in the early 70s and she mentioned Billy. last night One Speed Bob mentione that he went to school with Billy.

    Can he drive again? I heard that he couldn't drive for a bit. I wondered why his mother would sit in the van while he did the NBW rides.

    You have shamed me enough. I'll try to crank up the crank o meter and write up some curmudgeonly stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never gone to Providence. While equal prize money for the elite men and the elite women is debatable, they are $15,000 for the men and just $1000 for the women. I wish them success, but events such as this I do not participate in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just following the results, seeing Hanson lose a lot of time but still be in the 60's on GC in a 100+ rider field. Don't know much about the race, but I think one of the early stages was in a storm and it blew apart or something. A few of them are still in the hunt, with Weller just 1:30 back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 32 women registered. Maybe the prize list is too low. But only 30?

    Sheesh. Where are they all at?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature Valley, Rochester, etc. In New England, women licensee are about 10% of the total, yet women make up 11-12% of the race registrations. These are old numbers, but you get the idea. Some promoters cry about the women's turnout, but the reality is they race at least as much as men. It would be nice to see more womens' clubs promote womens' racing, masters promote masters, juniors promote juniors, etc. Dansko used to be involved with PVD but I'm not sure what happened to that. Even then it was still clear that only the men were considered "elite" enough to warrant a share of the sponsors money.

    I will make one thing clear: I 100% support any promoters right to make their own decisions. It's their show, and their work, and I'm glad they do it. I also believe in my right to not go if I don't like what they are doing. We are way past the point where we have to support any race that comes along to prove our dedication to bike racing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. huh. I didn't notice that last year. yeah, that does suck. as it turns out, I got family stuff on Sunday, so Ninigret it is for me tomorrow. Just as well since i haven't made it down there yet this year.

    Bonus: e-z parking, coffee, BBQ.
    See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your cash outlay going towards more food/fuel for you vs your gasoline automobile certainly is "greener"

    no?

    or not...

    and bruce? Crank o meter? I'd say more of a CRAP o meter...

    ReplyDelete