Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Recurring theme



You know, I wouldn't mind, but the fucking things cost over $100 these days. It took me all of last month to realize the "squeak" my pedals were making was not coming from the pedals at all; it was the edge of the torn leather trying to slowly ruin my bibs with each pedal stroke. Bike noises suck. The aluminum frame works like an amplifier too. One more thing to like about running. That has been going pretty well, and I've got over a half dozen runs under my belt since starting back up a few weeks ago.

I didn't go to the Green Mountain Stage Race. Instead I rode with the Cronoman on Saturday, then went to the Wells Ave world's on Sunday, even getting a chance to ride with the legendary man about town CTodd. There was a small but quality field, including newly crowned national junior criterium champion Gavin Mannion, and D3 pro Pat Walsh, who I got to know later in the afternoon at a bbq hosted by an Olympic gold medalist. I don't get to do that every day. The race was aggressive and the BBQ was fabulous, so all in all a pretty good day. I won three primes totaling $25, plus a can of Shaklee protein powder, and got 4th at the end, woo-hoo. I haven't done a training summary in quite some time, so let's just say it's been a bumpy road this summer but right now I seem to have backed into some decent form. Just two more weeks of road season, so I may as well keep pushing. That's it for today, thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. Would this Olympian be a speed skater?

    I've seen an intersting name in the results this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Not a bike racer either, although back in the Nashua Velo days we did have a condo at Killington that was right underneath the Coors Light team, and we met Alexi Grewal on the steps after an intra-team fight where Mike Zanoli (now dead) punched him out. Not going to drop the names, but it was from the LA Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zanoli seems to have liked to punch people.

    Has Eric Flaim been racing?

    Don't think he medalled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flaime has been at Wells Ave before. He used to have a skate shop on Newbury Street, but I'm not sure if it's still there. I don't even know what he looks like though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note to self: Don't try to race an A race at Wells after a night of bachelor party shenanigans.

    True to form, Solo went out on a break. Stuck it for quite some time too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Killer saddle photo. I love that kinda stuff.

    Zanoli was indeed a man that liked to solve problems with his fists. I remember him scrapping more than a couple times. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I wouldn't mind, but the fucking things cost over $100 these days."

    There ya go... bitching about money again...

    do we need to amortize the cost of the damn saddle by mile or year to make you feel like ya got a good deal...

    That and i'd suggest based on the photographic evidence that you angle your saddle a degree towards your right shift lever...

    ReplyDelete