Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Stop Making Sense



That was too easy. If you thought the previous post was bad, well, you should have been with me on my lunch ride. To characterize my performance as "lifeless" would be an insult to more energetic corpses in cemeteries everywhere. Today should have been a rest day, but the weather was simply too nice to let the day go without an attempted ride, or so it seemed.

I can't let this get me down though. Just the other day I had to talk Feltslave off a ledge after he experienced a similar attempted ride. Luckily I've had plenty of opportunity to hone my post-trainwreck soothing skills in the past. Relax, have confidence in your training, you're a great rider, don't be afraid to rest, blah, blah, blah. Convincing, isn't it? Well it's all true and I'm sticking to it.

Everyone's seen the charts and graphs which get proudly posted after a ride with a zillion watts or a million feet of climbing. I'm going one better; here's my Polar chart from today's ride:

.

Click the chart for a high res version. The green line is power. Bah-dump-dump. Notice only two spikes in HR. One right at the beginning, where I got grazed by a bluehair in a white Toyota before even getting off my street. I gave chase and even started the rolling lecture before realizing "what's the use?," and besides, if this Barbara Bush lookalike had had a heart attack or just freaked and driven into a house, the road-raging cyclist headlines wouldn't have looked so good. The other spike is near the end when I forced myself to ride up the little switchback off Bay Road in the big ring. Got all the way up to 116. Notice it dropped to friggin' 50 on the descent. Yeah, should have been a rest day. Thanks for reading.

PS - And oh yeah, what do you think of this? By you, I mean everyone, not just Mr. I don't do core Gewilli. At the very least, Mr. Hogg offers a fresh perspective, yet still echoes some of what I've recently tried to impress upon the 'rat (and I say "the 'rat" in the most respectful, non-derogatory way).

3 comments:

  1. my core involves lifting heavy objects and carrying them sometimes great distances...

    and running during cross season...

    i didn't say i don't do core

    i just ain't excited to read about it... sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah git's mah core workouts by banging ho's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pectoral muscles do NOT propel you forward on a bike.
    :)
    But I've been doing 25 push-ups a day for the past week, I swear. Gotta get rid of these man-tits somehow, and I don't care if I add some lean muscle to my chest.

    ReplyDelete