Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summertime, again...

Sorry about the lack of posts. I'm not on vacation, and had a few topics I could have covered, but no time to do them justice. This week it's once again time for the annual Workingman's Stage Race, a unique 3-night race for scrubs and masters, hosted by none other than Team BOB, the racing home of Solobreak.

The old-timers know what this means -- crazy racing dodging cars in Amesbury for two nights, followed by the points race tonight under the lights at Star Speedway. Long days either at work (uggh), or taking in the 24/7 cable TV while lounging at the Cronoman's house (this year I was lucky enough to catch both a stage from the tour as well as the Hooter's Calendar Girl Pageant, along with the Crono-usual buffet of History Channel re-runs. Clearly an essential service, no idea how I live without it), or doing long recovery rides around the byways of Londonderry.

No time for much more right now. So far not too bad, got 3rd in the TT, beating 4th by 1/100 of a second, could not contain the break in the RR against the powerful S&W/Sunapee and stocked CCB squads, but got 4th in the field sprint to take 8th on the stage, slipping to 5th on GC. Tonight will be a blast as usual, with my race expected to go off at 9:45 pm. I wasn't even supposed to be racing this. I rode the TT just for fun and then was slated to drop out and take pace car duty last night, but since I was the best placed on the team for GC, I got drafted to keep on racing instead. Good thing I got in 75k Wednesday morning, as with the race later it brought me up to 150k on the day, so at least I did not burn a vacation day for nothing. With the late start tonight, I can work a full day, so I'd better get my ass in to the cube farm. The drives up to the race have been great this year, but the homeward journeys have featured gridlock with a front row seat for bridge repair jackhammer warfare no matter which highway I choose. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment