Monday, August 3, 2009

Bow RR report - short version

Short version - I am an idiot. Highest number I saw was 57; that sounds about right for the number of starters in the 45+. Four laps of a 17k circuit that does not have a centimeter of flat on it. The long climb is about 2k, then a quick descent into another climb that is about 1k, with the last 300 meters close to 20% grade. Rolls up and down the rest of the way until a 2k descent back into the initial climb.

I was doing OK, made the first two selections on laps two and three up the climbs, down to 20 guys. Rick Sorensen (Battenkill United) was solo about 40 seconds up, having gone the third time up the climb. The rest of the field was in totally defensive posture mode. 1.25 laps to go, I rolled off. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Made it about half way across the gap, maybe had max 20 seconds at the bottom of the long climb. 15 guys caught and rode through me 3/4 of the way up. I fought to stay with the remaining 5 and we made contact right at the base of the next (steepest) climb. I popped. Wasted a good day. Sucked it up and chased HARD with two other guys, Tim Buckley (Sunapee) and an unattached guy. Swept up one more guy near the end. Took that sprint amongst us for to take 17th place, 1:33 down. Fuck, what an idiot. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment