Saturday, February 20, 2010

Patience and Confidence

Nega-Coach receives a lot of inquiries from athletes seeking training advice. Most of these athletes turn out to not only be fucking pussies, they're also dumbasses. It's the nature of the beasts. Yet we still try our best to help them. It's not easy though. A variety of obstacles stand in the way of improvement for these poor souls, but the most common ones are a lack of patience, and a lack of confidence with respect to the training they do. You would not believe how many riders believe they should feel stronger and stronger with every every training session they do. They send me data supporting their "improvement" from one week to the next, citing some miniscule increase in power as validation of their training methods. And so far, year after year, each and every one of them winds up on the same plateau.

I know I'm giving my audience way to much credit here, but since it's fairly nice outside and I want to get going on my own training, I'm taking a shortcut and posting a link to a podcast by Greg McMillan. In this episode, Greg explains why you may feel like shit when you've been training hard (I'm paraphrasing here). I know that all my genius athletes will profess that they already hold this knowledge, but since they're actions in real life don't back it up, I'm trying this.

You can't be patient with your training unless you're confident in it. As McMillan says, you don't want to be adjusting your training every time you have a race where you feel shitty. Yet that is what I see from nearly everyone. Now go fuck something up and blog about it. At least in three or four more weeks you'll be back to writing race reports. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment