Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Write Your Problems Down in Detail

Rough day at the home office - ran for 35 minutes early in the morning. My hamstrings seemed OK yesterday, but early in the run I could tell they weren't on a good day. This wasn't a problem, as I never intended to run hard. In fact, I may have benefitted from this little issue; for once I was able to do a steady run and keep my HR in zone 2 for almost the entire duration. Upon return to the homestead, I quickly jumped on the trainer to spin the legs out. My quads seemed sore, and I can't figure out why, but this wasn't a hard workout either, so 30 minutes at an average cadence of 97 was fine. A quick check of UPS tracking found both my packages unexpectedly out for delivery, so I would be telecommuting today after all, rather than trying to finagle a switch to tommorow.

With any luck, the pony express would arrive in the morning, nothing would blow up out in software land, and a fine little lunchtime ride would await. No such luck. Work brought a steady flow of phone calls and irritating issues, nothing serious, just enough to keep me occupied. No sign of the brown truck either. A good weather day was going to waste. Finally, mid afternoon, my delivery gets here, but by now it is too late to justify lunch, and trouble keeps phoning on a regular basis. What can you do? This is why we call it work. It doesn't stop. Luckily, we have an evening crew to attend to crisis' and we day slobs can pretty much go home at our appointed hour. The scant daylight was fading fast, but I said screw it and threw on some riding clothes and bolted out on the MTB at about 5:40. Nothing more than a few quick laps around the sheep pasture and surrounding trails, with a trip home on the street in the dark. It wasn't much, but I hate to work from home and still not get out. So all in all, I hustled quite a bit to get my hour and 38 minutes worth of workouts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment