Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Summertime Blues

August arrived yesterday, right on schedule. Like the rest of the country, sweet New England finds itself hot as a mofo these days, but all in all our weather this summer has been quite favorable for training. Despite this, my totals reflect only moderate volume, with 226 hours on the bike so far this year. This month, available daylight will diminish at a rapid pace, and in about three more weeks, an after work spin will require some serious hustling.

The good news is my car problems were not as serious as I first thought, and $135 worth of ignition parts seems to have brought things back to normal. This could still end up being a down week for me. I have a massage appt. on Thursday night, and unless I reschedule I'll be unable to make the TT. I'm still undecided about the weekend. The Pan-Mass Challenge rolls through town this weekend, with thousands of recreational cyclists raising millions of dollars to help support cancer research programs at Dana-Farber. I know a few people riding this year, one who has never ridden over 40 miles before. He is in for a treat. This does create complications on some of my local training routes though, so maybe I'll go race after all.

Since I don't have much else, and I need to get into work, I'll leave you with a few links:

Laura Van Gilder at Altoona - WTF?
Sports Psychology
Free Coaching Articles
The Pinnacle Challenge
The Mount A TT
The Green Mountain Stage Race

That's it for now. I know it's not much, but you really don't feel like working, right? Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. hmm, I really thinking about doing that Pinnacle Challenge now, looks like a load of fun. The only problem I have is that the VERGE #4: Downest UCI Cyclo-Cross #2 is on the same day!! Bah. I'll have to think about it. Looks like fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot as a griddle down here on the island and, correct, I don't feel like working. So I browsed your links. Like the Peaks stuff. Thanks. Cool cross season soon....

    ReplyDelete