Friday, August 11, 2006

Crazy

It's Friday again; here comes the weekend. There are only six weekends left in the road season, including this one. Sunday we have the time trial at Mount (huh-huh) Agamenticus, otherwise known as Mt. Friggin' A. This is a fun event, not really a hill climb, as the "mountain" is only about 150 meters high. Most of the TT leading into it consists of flat roads, but there is an interesting section of 55 kph downhill that turns to dirt right in the middle of it. From there it flattens out, then starts climbing, and eventually turns back to pavement when you hit the Mt. A access road. The dirt section is so fast that the race organizers forbid aero bars, for fear of what might happen. Because this event is so different, it's hard to predict the results, as both a TT'er or a climber have advantages on some parts of the course. Last year we started a tradition of wagering on this event. This year the organizers have upped the ante with a team competition combining the times of four pre-selected riders from the same team. The host club Boston Scientific will be hard to beat, but BOB will assemble a motley squadra and have a go.

Next weekend is the Tour of the Hilltowns. I've never done this one, but it's a KL favorite, so I'll find out what's up. All I know is it's a hilly race in a hilly area in the middle of the day in the middle of August. I think I know what to expect.

The weekend after that looks like it's gonna bring something completely different. There are no races on the calendar, but apparently having lost all sense, it looks like I'll be signing up for the D2R2 Randonee. You'll have to read the link to get the full lowdown, but basically this is a 106 mile gumby ride over a course that has 68 miles of dirt road, with the balance on lumpy rural pavement. The route includes 11,300 feet of climbing, and since the highest point in Massachusetts is like 4000 feet, this means steep pitches going up and down all day. A crazy event for sure, but I see a number of racers signed up for it, so I think it will be game on.

Labor Day weekend brings the Green Mountain Stage Race. We haven't worked out the details yet, but so far it looks like we're going. Stay tuned. After that I have the Team BOB Wayne Elliot Memorial Criterium, named for a team member who was tragically killed while training several years ago. Finally, the third weekend is September wraps things up at the MCRA Bob Beal Stage Race in Charlestown RI.

These races should provide ample fodder for posts in the future. I'm thinking of a rant on gearing (inspired by the D2R2), of course an annual piece on litter (the shitheads will no doubt be tossing gel wrappers again at GMSR), tales of suffering on the hills (almost all of the above), and lots of other stories. You'll just have to wait, because after being "sick" (thanks for the inspiration Bold) yesterday (hey Ge, we went up Tower Hill in Cumberland!) I need to get in to work early. Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. would you just use your cross bike with some cross tires and standard road gearing on the D2R2 Randonee since most of it's off road, wouldn't that be the safest and fastest way to finish this race or would you just use your normal road bike? Just wondering, looks like a fun race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't decided. I think the cross bike is the way to go, but I'll have to mickey mouse some water bottle cages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what would you run your tires at for pressure since it's probably hard packed dirt right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends. I would like to get 700x32 road/hybrid tires and run them at around 75-80. If I use 700x28 road tires I'll run them at 85-90 and see how it goes. It's not a race, just a ride, but I'm sure there will be some drafting so there could be stones and stuff that could cause a pinch flat if you wallop one without seeing it.

    I am also going to try to get a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST suspension seatpost. I've wanted one for a while to save my back in cross and on the MTB. They're heavy but I really don't care. My back gets wrecked from riding on lumpy grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you could always use a *gasp* Camel back

    :-p

    (dvtut)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was my suggestion.
    (ggyhbmxj)

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh oh - small and tall be thinkin alike again...

    i'm freaked out again...

    a kay sup?

    (strange letters here... lately)

    ReplyDelete