Monday, August 14, 2006

He said "Mount" huh-huh

The Mount Agamenticus time trial is a very unique event. Part hill-climb, part time trial, the 7.9 mile course also includes a two mile dirt road section, and the transition from pavement comes at over 50 kph. This year the great turnout of riders were rewarded with a nice tailwind on the flat, paved portion of the course which comes in the first half. The Boston Scientific Cycling Club also provided a cool starting ramp, a nice professional touch for a low key event. They also created a team competition where clubs could designate teams of four to compete on the basis of combined time. The winning team got handmade medals that included medallion-shaped vials of Mt A dirt from the unpaved portion of the course.

Mt. A is not all that high, but the final portion of the course goes up the access road, which is a switchbacked climb of 1.1k at about 8%, much steeper near the top. Before you get to that, the dirt road also climbs quite a bit, so metering out your energy on this course presents quite a challenge.

Last year I cautiously fitted my bike with GP4 wheels and TUFO tubulars. Due to the speed on the first part of the dirt section, aero bars are not allowed at this event. With my not so speedy wheels, last year I rode a time of 24:04, which was respectable, but well out of the medals for the master's field. This year, I decided to go with normal 23 mm Michelin Race clinchers fitted onto my bladed spoked Shimano aero wheels. This would surely give me more speed on the flat section, and I would hope for the best on the dirt.

After a good warmup on the trainer, where I felt great, I hurried to the start ramp just in time. The Cronoman was starting thirty seconds behind me, so the pressure was on. I took off down the ramp and the first thing I saw was my speedometer reading zero. I guess the sensor was mispositioned, but I would just have to deal with it and ride by feel. Mostly staying in the 14 cog, I did not feel that fast, and the anticipated tailwind seemed non-existent. I tried the 13 on a few of the rollers, but without electronic feedback I honestly couldn't tell whether or not I was doing a good ride. My HR was only in the low 160's, less than I saw in warmup, and lower than what I've been hitting at Rehoboth this year.

At 6k the course takes a right turn and starts heading uphill. Here I got a time check of 8:25 to compare to last year's 9:10. So far so good! The first portion of the climb is fairly steep, but I powered up in my 52x17, passing a rider. Next there is a left turn, with the course continuing uphill for another 500m or so, but not as steep. Lately I've been climbing well in the saddle, so here I went as far as the 52x21 and rolled it up and over, maintaining good momentum into the crest. Building speed down toward the transition to dirt, I tried to relax and get ready to float over the bumps fast and smooth. I flew onto the dirt, and immediately it seemed bumpier and more gravelly than last year. The road is closed to oncoming car traffic, so I stayed in the center and kept flying along so as to keep some speed for the rises that were soon to come. But then... psssst! Flat rear tire. Damn. Coasting to a stop, I hit the lap button on my HRM out of instict. There was a guy with a camera poised next to the road on a rock, and he asked if I was OK. I said yes, flat tire.

Right away, my teammate Mickey came down the road, returning from his earlier finish in the 55+ group. Seeing me, he says "you need a wheel?" and I was like, "Sure!" I started taking off mine, and I say "10 speed?" and he replies "Eight." Ohhh-Kaayyy... We get the wheel in very quickly, and I'm now wondering why the Cronoman hasn't come by yet. Mickey works the shifter as I crank the pedals, and we get the chain up onto the second largest cog. I remount and start rolling, and lo and behold but the chain is miraculously not skipping! I hit my lap counter again and see that only 56 seconds have elapsed during my troubles. The rest of the way is mostly uphill, so I make due by leaving the rear shifter alone and switching back and forth between the 52x21 and the 38x21. For the most part this is OK, I am lugging some here and spinning some there, but soon the dirt ends and it is on to the access road.

I tried to power up in the 52x21, but about halfway where it turns steep I realize that is not going to work. I went to the 38 just before the first switchback, where I found that even this wasn't so easy. After a hundred more meters or so, I gamble and hit the right lever, and amazingly the chain grabs the 23 and does not skip. Keeping my butt right on the saddle, I got in a rhythm and kept this gear going. At the last switchback, I looked left and could now see the Cronoman powering up the hill. The finish line seemingly took forever to appear, but I crossed in 23:39, 25 seconds faster than last year, despite my troubles!

Everyone was faster this year, due to the tailwind. Looking back over my data, I estimate that in addition to my 56 seconds at the side of the road, the lost focus and lack of gears over the latter portion of the course probably cost me an additional 10-30 seconds. At the time of the flat, I was 1:40 ahead of last year's pace. That is life. The fast wheels and skinny tires ended up costing me. Next year I'll give up some speed on the early part of the course and go back to something more appropriate.

No race next weekend, Hilltowns was cancelled. Bummer. Oh well, we sent in our entries for Green Mountain though! Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. GMSR, I am homeless, but planning on riding it. Maybe I'll book into a campground and bring my tent...and fishing rod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt - Stay tuned, we will be working out the lodging details within a day or two. It should not be more than $200 for three nights. Hopefully we will be getting a condo at the Bridges.

    Nice ride yesterday. You still suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I suck, I was just lucky to catch all of that tail wind after you guys were finished. I was lucky to be the last rider of the day and catch the change of wind pressure from the North to push me all the way up that mountain...

    FnF - f you you f'n f...

    BTW - When I finished, my Polar read 22:48..how the F did they give me 22:55?....They took 7 sec away from me,...that is 7sec of climbing they just threw out the window......

    PS - I am going to the team ride tomorrow night, you coming?

    ReplyDelete