Thursday, February 8, 2007

They can't all be good



Yesterday's run was indeed a train wreck. Right off the bat I sensed the feeling I've been dreading all winter, but until now had not felt: my quads were par-boiled from cycling. Running is such a breeze in the winter when the bike miles are low and easy. All along I knew it would be much different when the cycling workouts started to get real. I didn't think a little 40 minute dig on the trainer would do it though; I figured I'd be getting rubber legs later on in the year after three hours in the hills.

Not that this was real bad, but combined with the cold, and the unexpected icing in the woods, a good rhythm proved elusive. After a mile I tried to pick it up and rattled off two more at an acceptable 7:36 pace, before fleeing to the walkways of the local institution of higher learning in search of ice-free passage. I just got slower from there and eventually headed back at what turned out to be an 8:00 pace, wrapping it up at 7.2 miles total in 57 minutes. It was bound to happen sooner or later. That's it for now, still no warm weather in the forecast, but at least it's bright and sunny with the daylight coming earlier every day. Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

  1. A 7:36 pace. Heywood couldn’t keep that on the best day of me life.
    Solo, something just isn’t right. Wood feels like you are taking advantage of the 3bicoastal boys. We continue to give you life counseling on a daily basis so you don’t go and off yourself, yet, we never receive any monetary compensation for our deeds. Our thoughts don’t come cheap. What gives? Now listen up. Go gaze into the mirror, smack your face a few times and snap out of this funk you are in. Cycling is 90% mental, the other half is physical. So get your mind right. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know - until I started doing this run-around-in-circles thing I never knew how fast I'd run a mile. We had mile intervals Tuesday and I had no idea how fast/slow to go. I took it super easy on the first mile and wound up clocking in 7:58. The second one I did was 6:41 I still didn't feel like I was trying too hard. Gotta get the back and knees used to the pounding again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't think I'm ready for a 5 miler yet. 3 one mile intervals did a number on my lower back. A 5K mebbe. Was planning on going to NYC, but maybe I'll go do yoga instead. The eyecandy's pretty damn good at yoga...and it'll help the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez M, we might have a job for you over at Nega-coach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry Litka is a track coaching GODDESS!

    She even knows what the olecranon process is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solo,
    Disregard the previous words about smacking yourself in the face. That is better intended for missknowitallbetterfly. So much for just messing around on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh and i saw 14 comments this morning and thought... What the Fahk would have cause ANYONE to get going with that many comments about the trainwreck entry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. M Butt: You forgot to add

    11) I'm Humble.
    12) And, dammit, people like me.


    Solo: she keeps groining you like this, you're liable to look like me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Solo, time to get back on the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What many of you don't know is that Negacoach was inspired by none other than the rantings if Mlle. Litka. Before Kerry (that's B.K.), FnF was merely a run of the mill asshole (and trust me when I tell you I know from assholes). A.K. (After Kerry), FnF is an Asshole with a Mission, though I must admit I think he's mellowing with age. I truely miss his postings on the BOB group.

    ReplyDelete