Thursday, April 26, 2007

Return of the Tuesday Night Titans

The 2007 Wompatuck season got under way this week. After the rainout on the scheduled opening night last week, I wasn't sure what to expect of the course. The good news is the park seems to have gone on a brush clearing rampage, and the bushes along the course have been cut way back. The course is wider and better for racing than I've seen it in years. Of course it will grow in as the season progresses, but right now it's great. This also lets more sunlight in, so things will be more likely to dry out when it rains. There is one spot right after the finish line where water was running out of the woods and across the road, but it wasn't too bad. The mosquitoes were already out though.

Around 50 riders seemed to be in attendance, not too shabby for the first week. We did 20 laps of the 1.3 mile circuit in just about an hour. It seemed easier than usual, never really went single file. I got in a few breaks to test the legs, even stayed out with three others for almost four laps near the end. My recovery is better than it's been in years. Things all came back together for the sprint lap, I just followed wheels, got bumped around by some clown who was fighting to the death to hold the wheels of a good rider who surged to the front, but I held my spot and got on the train when it wound up. I waited and waited, but it got up to 38 mph and when I finally broke clear with less than 100 meters to go, the 52x12 wasn't enough. First and second had at least five bike lengths on me, but I ended up on the losing end of a three way sprint for third, crossing in fifth. I'll take it.

Ge, you and all the others should make an effort to attend some week. It's a blast, and good training. Thanks for reading.

1 comment: