Thursday, April 5, 2007

The One day of da 'Pan

Hello bike racers! Fans of the big stage over in Europe know this is the most important week of the racing calendar. Of course, everyone knows it's time for the Ronde, but insiders know that's not the real story. The big news is the lead up race, the KBC -3daagse DE PANNE – KOKSIJDE, also known as the Three days of DePanne. Why is this UCI mini-stage race that some of you have never heard of such a big deal? Because traditionally (ok maybe two out of the past three years) I've kicked off my "real training" with my own version, the Three Days of da 'Pan, or three consecutive days of training in the Blue Hills and the next-door gem of Boston, Mattapan.

There's nothing like three straight days attacking the short, steep climbs on the reservation's park roads mixed with traffic sprints on Blue Hill Ave in the heart o' the 'pan to get you in shape for the spring races. In years past, I'd schedule a few vacation days to coincide with the 3daagse, even recruiting some of the mates and KL to put in some big days of several hours each. This year, I guess the scheduling snuck past me, and before I knew it the 3daagse was here and I had to work. Going to Plan B, I figured I could just pack the bike in the car and head over to the 'hood every night, but the cold, rainy, true Belgian style weather has had me cowering with my tail between my legs.

Actually, Tuesday night I did make it out on the road after work, but I rode from home. I got a pretty late start, and it was sleety and drizzly, but all bundled up I rode hard to keep warm and made the best of it. Yesterday I didn't pack the bike as the forecast was a 100% chance of a shitfest, and sure enough after a dry morning the evening sucked. I got stuck at work past seven anyway, so I didn't even get on the trainer. That leaves us with tonight. With late word just in that Luca Paolini Alessandro Ballan (oops, jumped the gun, didn't know today was a double stage) has won the overall, and more cold rain falling outside, I'll pack up my bike and woolies, hoping for the best tonight. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment