Friday, July 6, 2007

More Positives For Ge

Yes, that's right, just when it seems the only things positive in cycling are doping tests, leave it to solobreak (aka the Ray of Sunshine) to bring you more good news. Remember back in the spring when everyone (you know who you are) was bitching about the weather? Well what about the past seven or eight weeks? Doesn't get much better than this. June was about as perfect a weather month as we are ever going to get in New England. No excuses for missed training there.

OK, so that's a singular positive. Now a question: glucosamine/msm - useful supplement or just expensive snake oil? Saw my friendly LMT last night and she said she was skeptical but had been hearing more positive things about it lately, from credible sources. I think I'm willing to give it a try. I'm also looking for someone local who does ultrasound and e-stim type PT for my knee. I'm all ears (really all nose, but you get the idea).

I did not ride to work today. My knee has not felt great since Wednesday's 80 miler, and right now I'm of the mind that if I have to cut back on riding, then it's the junk that is going out. If I'm riding, then it will be real training or racing. I'm doing the alternating ice/heat therapy, as well as stretching of course. I also got new shoes. Not cycling shoes, regular Bostonian Clarks to wear at work. I noticed my old pair had pretty rounded heels, and I'm wondering if even this is working against my knee. A few stray brain cells collided and I remembered I'd bought a new pair a few years back during a sale, and sure enough they were right there in the closet, still in the box. Woo-hoo, new stuff without spending money.

Enjoy the weekend. I might race at Hartford tomorrow. Good luck to Duano at Nationals. Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. yeah - i used it for a while when my knees were wonkered (mostly from not riding) and it helped quite a bit it seemed.

    but... ymmv

    and yeah, weather's been nothing to bitch about...

    hell i don't even mind the heat right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about taking Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM together. I used to use it when running during the winter for cross training and it seemed to help my knees a bit but I haven't had the need to use them on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i worked at gnc for several years, and the glucosamine/chondroitin product had to of been a top5 product. LOTS of happy repeat customers including weightlifters, runners, and just older folk seemed to swear by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading Brucie's panning of your Portland place, I felt you might need something positive to keep you from slipping over the edge. Besides, walking in the building this morning, the weather was so nice I just got inspired. Hey, and believe it or not, Wednesday I held a brand new unbuilt Zanc cross frame right in my hands. Nice to see a new lugged bike with a 1 inch headset. As for Zoo, be nice to him; maybe he'll put our favorite TV show back on the air...

    ReplyDelete
  5. how was that negative? it was just an observation that ya got zoo to make a comment and come out of his bloglessness... i still click on his old blogger thing in the odd chance he decided to start writing again...

    it isn't helping that NO ONE is around the picture factory this week...

    i've updated defragged and cleaned the computers on the scopes and cleaned all the scopes and they don't say a whole lot...

    I actually like a bigger headset to be honest... 1" is okay for short folks like KL but big fat lardasses like me need that extra beef to resist the dead weight load on the bars and all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and... speaking of frames...

    i'm wondering if possible to go all Klein old school on the bottom brackets.

    Use these new fat ass spindle cranks and slap some super durable cartriage bearings on it and then pop em in a custom BB shell...

    ya know? hell loctite em in place or something like Klein did or stick some other method of retention in there...

    no more crunchy FSA shit for no one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that what they did on the new Madone? I'm not up to speed on all this new stuff, but it sounded like they stuffed and external bearing BB inside the frame.

    I'll agree, 1" headsets are wimpy, but I guess they don't make lugs that big? For the old school look, you need thin tubes.

    ReplyDelete