Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Running

This was by far my most serious running year ever. Prior to 2007, I'd never done a race longer than a 10k. Even now, I've still never run over 35 miles in a week, and I'm not sure if I ever will. Here's the racing wrap up:

DateRaceTimePace
Jan 14Raynham Frostbite 15k1:03:316:50
Feb 11Paddy Kelly 5 mile30:446:09
Feb 18Foxboro 10 mile1:06:146:37
Mar 18New Bedford Half1:28:566:48
April 1Cohasset 10k39:466:24
Jun 17Easton 5 mile32:326:31
Oct 21Caring 4kids 5k18:315:59
Nov 10Bristol 10 mile1:03:456:23
Nov 18Norwood 4 mile24:026:01
Nov 22Tiger Turkey Chase29:316:00
Dec 1Norwood 5k18:155:53
Dec 9Newport 10k35:555:48
Dec 30Millennium Mile4:514:51


At least I like the trend. As noted on Feltslave's blog today, yesterday marked the first time ever (including "training") I've attempted to run faster than 5k pace. I'm not saying I liked it. On a bright note, I think I've got my knee issue figured out. Basically overtight/overstrong lateral quad group and weaker medial quad causing tracking issues. Foam rolled on the lateral quad, almost blacked out from the pain, but got it to release and voila, no more grinding. Stuff I need to keep working on. Thanks for reading. (cycling synopsis for the year? maybe, maybe not).

9 comments:

  1. FnF - You are sick man. I give you all the props in the world for your natural runnin talent. Not many folks 'start' running and get's results like you do. The cycling helps, but you have talent. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell of a year... nice work. I think my leg would come flying off if I tried to run a 4:51 right now :) So is there a reason you don't go to the spring duathlons and kick the crap out of everyone (ok, most everyone)? Or is that next year's plan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. fs, I didn't exactly just "start" running. I've been dabbling with 5ks and 5 milers most winter for over a decade, but it was only the last two years where I ran consistently enough (as in at least twice a week) all winter to call it "training." I'm not sure I'd call it talent, but thanks, I enjoy being halfway competitive. You and I both know that there are some guys in our age group who we'll never be near.

    Trackrich, I had some duathlon plans in 2007. Planned for 3, entered 2, made it to the start for 1 (Wrentham). They're expensive, and they all come at the times of year when the calendar is full of events. Running off the bike is no picnic either. I don't know if I'll do any this year. It depends on the calendar. I want to focus on getting competitive in the bike races though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goal is to runa sub 19 5K (sub 18 if I can really be fast) and a sub 1:30 at New Bedford. Which isn't too far of a stretch goal..

    Unlike you - I just started running. So maybe I'm screwed.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not and overnight sensation 115th, 43:50.

    Not quite so bad

    But look who I outsprinted. 118th. That was my first race of the year, no training.

    I think I did a few races from 93 to 95 but then nothing at all for several years after my knee surgeries. Then in 2001 it looks like I started up again on the fall circuit. Never went under 7 minute miles until just a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about NB this year. I plan to race Raynham, run Boston Prep as a training run, then race Paddy Kelly and the Foxboro 10 miler. So first I want to get that far without injuries. After that, I'd prefer to wrap up my winter running earlier than NB this year, and focus on bike racing, but we'll see.

    NB is pretty flat. There is a gradual climb, maybe a half mile long, around 3 miles in. Then it is a straight road, gradual grade down to the water for 5 miles or so, very fast. Then it is flat along the water, but windy most of the rest of the way. There is one more small rise at about 12 miles, and a small downhill (1 block) right before the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DF's assessment of NB is mostly accurate except that "windy" means at least a mile of REALLY freaking windy and the hill at mile 12 is just a good old kick in the head especially if you are suffering or borderline. Great race though. I could probably get back in shape for it this year... now you've got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey dave-
    could you hit me with a quick note at brandauer - at - gmail - dotcom? thanks!

    ReplyDelete