Monday, December 24, 2007

Natural Beauty

See, the bottom picture in the post below should dispel the rumor that my trip to Faulkner last week was to blow my bonus on rhinoplasty. Everyone else in day surgery may have been getting a nose job, but not me. As you can see, my air intake is as big as ever. When you have a stellar VO*2* max like mine, this comes in handy. Laugh and mock all you'd like, just give me your best smile while you're at it, with all your teeth showing.

Now's the time of year when retrospective blog posts start to show up. I'll pre-empt, but be brief. Look back to last year's turn of the calendar posts, and you'll see that lots of things have changed, professionally, personally, athletically, even medically. Some years not much happens; this wasn't one of these years. The nose remains the same, but 2008 will be more exciting than ever, and a chance to build on 2007.

The blog has changed a little too, and it's evident when looking at where it was last December. I almost shit-canned the whole thing a few times too, but didn't. Originally this was supposed to be anonymous, but it did not stay that way for long. I still have an anonymous blog too, but since nobody reads it, rarely is it updated. I've also got my two other websites, quartz.he.net/~bits, where all the images you see here live, and davefoley.com, which I've had since way back when even someone with a common name could snag a domain name like that. A few months back I considered the idea of ditching solobreak (google can take on the largest corporation in the world and win, but they can't let us merge accounts?) and focusing on my personal site. I even invested a whopping four and one half minutes of my life installing popular blogging software on it, but after kicking the tires a bit I realized it offered very little that interests me. Continuity and staying power have value, so I'm still here. I want to work on davefoley.com though, as negacoach gets thousands of hits more than my blog does, so I may as well leverage that somehow.

I've had a lot of great ideas for blog posts, but not all of them come to pass. Like my witty retorts to some of your comments, a few of them had to die after I ran them by my legal department. A lot of the rest just died from lack of effort. I'm not sure if I made this up or stole it somewhere, but in one of my index card notebooks (which, back before PDAs, which I no longer use because they suck, and laptops, which I no longer need thanks to remote desktop, I used to use to keep important info and notes, sort of like Gewilli's moleskin book), I have a quote written: "it's not how many ideas you have, it's how many ideas you make happen." I'll see what I can do to make more ideas happen in 2008. And in the rest of 2007 for that matter. Naturally. Thanks for reading, have a great holiday! Take a moment to reflect on how fortunate you are. And smile.

1 comment:

  1. My wife was somewhere and someone said that deciding to do something is meaningless... you have to go and do it too. More deep thoughts before the fat man stops by. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete