Friday, December 28, 2007

Give it way, give it away, give it away now!

This holiday season, I got quite a shock. Someone got a hold of my ATM card and cleaned out my entire checking account, leaving me with just a $15 balance. Oh yeah, that was me. This morning I was preparing to empty out the piggy bank and take the trip down to the local market and Coinstar my way to weekend solvency. However, the good people who employ me are kind of obsessive about finishing up their annual books like, right on time, so much so that the monthly deposit for December gets made a few days early, and this morning, there it was. Poverty avoided.

One of the other things my employer does extremely well is turn a profit. Every year. It's an interesting story, but I'll spare you most of it. Anyway, since the company has no debt, and only grows organically, most of the profits get paid out as dividends to the (private) shareholders. Before doing that, about 1% of the net, which this year means ~$725K, is given to various charities. I'm not sure if 1% is generous or not, but the stated reasoning is the shareholders will then receive the rest of their monies and make their own decisions regarding charitable giving. Seems fair enough to me. I know for one that the company founder, who still sits in an ordinary cube like the rest of us even though he gets a dividend check with eight figures on it, passes on a substantial amount of his wealth to where he thinks it will do the most good. As employees, we are encouraged to do the same.

My "history" with the IRS is not so great, but I'm pretty sure the year ends next week, and if for some reason you might be motivated to give charitably for tax reasons, that means today would be a good day to finish up business. Need ideas? Good, that's what this is about. Yesterday I stumbled upon the OLPC give one, get one program. Interesting. There are numerous reasons to believe or not believe in the goals of this program, but the give one, get one approach has a certain appeal. The "teach them to fish" idea certainly has potential to bring about positive change. Honestly, I haven't thought about this one too much, but I'm throwing it out there. I know we don't want to make developing countries all fat like Americans, do we? That got me thinking, could this same approach work for bikes? I don't know, but for right now, we still have Bikes Not Bombs doing similar work, among many other things. I know these people, and their efforts are genuine. Consider them for your support as well. Of course, I have a soft spot for the HSUS and have made them the recipient of this year's "found money." Maybe you will too.

Think, and of course be wary, be original, be creative, but we're fortunate, and all of us can do something for somebody. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Bikes not Bombs gets my cash and time. I've volunteered with them on and off for about 10 years.

    The bike club has given them a few grand a year for the last few years. Very good group that does not piss money away for admin costs.

    We are also partial to the Jimmy Fund/Dana - Farber. It was a favorite of my mother's. She died from cancer in 1993.

    My wife and I both went to private schools on scholarship and benefited greatly. This year the alma maters may get some cash.

    It's been a good year financially for us...

    ReplyDelete