Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Sound of Silence



The ringleader of the 3B2, the intrepid Moveitfred, continues the musical theme with a few pics of his training CDs. Not to be outdone, here is my entire collection. That's right Freddie, solo isn't exactly an audiophile either. No mp3 player, hell, I don't even play music when I'm on the trainer. Just me and my thoughts most of the time. Must be the 800,000 car miles I've logged with NO RADIO! Alright, my first car, a 1979 Ford Fiesta came with an AM radio that didn't get any stations, but could serve as a sort of tachometer by picking up ignition wire interference. After 79,000 miles of leadfoot beating, the Fiesta said ciao baby and it was on to a 1983 Ford Econoline, complete with captains chairs. This breadbox did eventually sport a Blaupunkt and some cabinet speakers, complete with extra long cabling for placement on the roof when camping at Pocono raceway. Photographic evidence of this masterpiece was lost in a common-law divorce settlement, aka being kicked to the curb and making said van a temporary home for your hero.

Eventually , 175,000 miles and one engine rebuild later, 16 mpg with an 18 gallon tank got a bit old, and it was off to the Dodge boys for a 1989 Colt, which was really a Mitsubishi. For just $6700, this beauty had no tunage at all, but it did have a cool plastic cover where the radio would have been, easily removed/replaced to conceal the stash box behind. The Colt was the best car ever, and it gave me 224,000 miles of music free (and maintenance free) service before the motor said enough is enough and dropped a valve. That took me to 1995 when I got the Corolla, the first vehicle I ever owned with AC and a factory sound system consisting of a radio/cassette and four crappy speakers. So I guess I did have music for this portion of life, but honestly I didn't turn it on for many of the 205,000 miles the Toyota dutifully transported me about the planet.

Squint or click to zoom and you mofos can critique and chuckle at what's before you. Time to defend your honor and tell me what a pathetic dinosaur I am. I'd rather listen to the chain running over the cogs anyway. Thanks for listening...

1 comment:

  1. Daaaaaaamn! You got it goin' on with the Bootsy, Babymama!

    ReplyDelete