Monday, October 29, 2007

The Flying Foley



Here is the ass shot so many of you have requested. Sorry that you can't see the "too much information" stuff I've had the pleasure of telling you all about, but the Funboy Three will be glad to note that if you click in and zoom in on the high-res version, you can even check out my junk. Credit for this super cool action shot goes to Robert Tyszko. Thanks to the Cronoman for passing this along. Ge, you'll notice my form is perfect (and I mean that in every sense).

Last week over on GeWilli's blog, (at least I think that's where it was), a thread formed in the comments about the best and worst cheering/heckling you can hear when racing cross. As noted yesterday, The Mighty A-man made the trip to Canton to dish out some quality heckling over by the track. On lap three we debated the origins of my bike, and just how shameful it was to ride like shit at the back of the pack with the name Lemond (A-man's hero, and still the best) on my frame, even though it's just a Hot Tubes machine painted up for the benefit of the prior owner's sponsors. But that wasn't the my favorite spectator commentary of the day. Canton also features a set of low barriers over on the woods side. These lay at the top of a gravel rise which follows a tight 180 turn. This year on most laps it wasn't too hard to execute the turn nicely and carry enough momentum up the rise to coast into the barriers normally and hurdle them smoothly. However, on one lap I messed it up and ground up the slope, then didn't get the pedals in the right spot and ended up making an awkward step behind and clumsy dismount. One of the gathered bystanders, obviously extolling his expert wisdom upon his companions quipped "now that guy has bad technique." Thanks for reading.

PS - Oh yeah, does anyone know who the girl was who kept yelling "Go Yogurt!" Cracked me up...

PS2 - Joe's Blog today. Heh-heh.

5 comments:

  1. prolly KT

    just a guess - she's one of the loudest and more creative folks cheering...

    but she was mostly along the front paved stretch during your race IIRC...

    but then i was with 3 blonde gals in the bathrooms most of yall's race...

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW Ge, I never practice. Five laps at Canton probably quadrupled the number of flying remounts I've done this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's not a remount.

    that's a disclosure of your secret.

    your fastiness is not a result of hill repeats of big blue, you have a powered bike -- clearly, all you do as pictured is try to hold the hell on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, Gewilli's right, that was me - because how often do you get to say "Go yogurt"?

    There was a roving group of us together so we kept moving around. Fun stuff - I cheer much better than I race...

    -KT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I was going to wear my witch hat on my helmet too, but the drag it causes is unreal - I would've gotten whiplash on some of those turns...those are great socks, by the way!

    ReplyDelete