Thursday, October 4, 2007

Trial Run

Wednesday I finally met up with a doctor who both seemed to know what he was talking about and was very optimistic about my prognosis. He felt only four more days of wound packing would be required, and he cleared me to start running. In his estimation this was not as serious as I had been led to believe, and the risk of further complications not all that high. Woo-hoo.

This morning I wasted little time in lacing up the shoes and heading out to the Sheep Pasture. Twelve days of sitting around doing nothing apparently left the running legs a lot worse off than when I just ride and don't run. Only four miles at an 8 minute flat pace and my quads were protesting. Oh well. I knew I'd lose the edge I'd been honing. Two weeks ago I was really working hard and in excellent shape, ready to do a final week's push before tapering for the Pinnacle Challenge. I was running low-mid 7's with minimal effort. Today I wasn't totally sucking wind or anything, but clearly the layoff and the rest of this ordeal took it's toll. I'll try to get out again on Saturday, maybe 6 miles or so, then Monday on the holiday too. Next week I'll get the wound rechecked and have a better idea of when I might be able to ride. I've made a deal with myself to finish up at least a few of the bike projects I've got going before I take to the roads.

Thanks to all for your support. This did not turn out too bad after all, but man did it suck last week. Special thanks to the friends who were there when I needed you. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Good news, dude. Glad to hear it. Best of luck with a super quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, what the other jb said ... glad you're back, and the offer to buy you coffee at B&W still stands - although i'm sure you're in no hurry to come down there for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang dude, glad to hear that you're feeling better, I couldn't help but imagine your pain as I was reading your previous posts, and thank you so much for the imagery :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solo, glad to see you are back up and running. Al, never has these problems you are having, his ass has taken a beating over the years and is used to all the trauma.

    ReplyDelete