Wednesday, January 2, 2008

10 more things about me - the music edition

For no apparent reason, other than I'm thinking about music right now. See number 10.

1) The first concert I ever went to was Grand Funk Railroad, at the Providence Civic Center, 1973. I was 11. The ticket cost was $5.25.

2) I did not play a band instrument in grade school. We couldn't afford it.

3) I got a Tiesco bass guitar and Alamo amplifier with my paper route money in junior high.

4) My bass playing never took off, because my pinky fingers are curved to the point where you might call them deformed, and because I'm tone deaf.

5) My singing voice is truly horrible, much worse than my bass playing.

6) I know the lyrics to a lot of old country songs.

7) I was employed by Tom Scholz of the band Boston for about four months in the early 80's. We worked in the old Cambridge Music complex, across from where Alewife station is. All the local rock vagrants hung out/practiced/partied there at the time.

8) At the job noted above, I once shared a 5 pound cheesecake and two bottles of Moet with my night shift coworkers and our white german sheperd shop dog. The goodies were sent to Tom via Fedex by Eric Clapton, in thanks for sending him a Rockman guitar toy. We intercepted the package and I doubt that Tom ever found out it existed.

9) I have seen Zappa and Stevie Ray Vaughn live five times each. Both are dead now. I also saw Kiss warmup for Black Sabbath in 1976. This was also at the Civic Center.

10) Rarely do I listen to music when on the trainer. Once of my goals for this year is to start doing so.

Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

  1. iPod shuffle. One of the best training tools you'll ever spend $59 on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave lives in in own space. he can Just set up the speakers about 3 feet from either side of his head and crank it. Better bass that way. I don't know what you have, dave, but I have a few extra sets of decent speakers if you need something with reasonable fidelity.

    Barracuda by Heart is a great interval tune. Very loud, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (yeah GW has spent way too much time being nice over the last few weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leadout at Womp for the first person who knows what a Jawa is. No googling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Jawa as a funk-pop band from the '90s? They got some airplay on wfnx if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moped is sort of right. Before that, they made regular motorcycles. At one time they were partnered with CZ (Czech MX bikes).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll settle for sort of right.

    Never had a moto. Hadda coupla mopeds in high school.

    Lessee... My first concert was at the Civic Center too. Yes in, 1980 or 1981. It wasn't really Yes though as Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman were MIA and replaced by the Buggles. I shit you not. They even played "Video Killed the Radeio Star". Wierd.

    I also saw BOC and Fog Hat there about that time. My GF Jackie was always up for a night out so we saw some interesting shows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. jawa - I still remember a band - though that could easily be my psychotropic addled brain playing games with a homonym.

    First show - jethro tull boston garden 1979

    favorite show - rick derringer fitchburg theater 1980

    best performance - bob seger boston garden '81 (recorded on the 'nine tonight' album)

    rowdiest show - ZZtop cape cod coliseum '81 - loverboy opened (whose bright fucking idea was that?) and got bood off stage, staties were finally brought in after the show was over and no one was leaving the parking lot, fights all day and night.

    loudest show - pat travers band fitchburg theater '81

    worst show - ozzie solo, two years running, centrum '84+'85. gawd he sucked.

    most repeats - zztop 3 shows, j geils band 3 shows

    biggest let down - rush, centrum '82 sounded to much like the album.

    biggest pleasant surprise - Nazareth, orpheum, '82

    Best guitar work - rick derringer, fitchburg theater, '79 and Rik Emmet (triumph) centrum '84(?)

    best drum work - neil peart of rush, centrum '82

    best take-control-of-the-audience-and squeeze-their-brains show - nine inch nails, centrum, '97

    best we're-just-up-here-fucking-off show - joe perry project, palladium, worcestor, '83(?)

    lost count of how many stadium/theater concerts I've seen, been to even more club shows

    last show - The Offspring centrum, '02

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last show? Bo Didley, Interbike in Atlantic City. God I'm old...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, and I don't know how this got left off the list, but one time I was out riding with Mark McCormack near Great Woods/Tweeter Center/Whatever the F they call it now and we got tooted at by the Lilith Fair tour bus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If Tom didn't know about the Clapton gift, he does now. ;>

    ReplyDelete