Monday, January 7, 2008

Day-Light Ville

courtesy kris hoet via flickr

See Gewilli, in Europe cross is so popular they have giant screens in the woods broadcasting the world cups for the moose and squirrel population to enjoy. Photo courtesy of Kris Hoet.

I forgot all about Dayville. I'm nursing my knee issue anyway, so I wouldn't have gone even if I'd remembered. I also skipped running Little Compton and instead took a trip north for breakfast at Feltslave's, a trip to mecca, and later on a dinner in downtown Nashua to take the pulse of the NH political campaign scene. All I can say is FSM, have mercy, please?.

The big news is that at least here at W071 05, N42 19, yesterday, January 6, marks the latest sunrise of the winter. From here on in the day starts to get longer at both ends. That's correct. Everybody knows that December 21 is the shortest day, but the earliest sunsets actually ended on December 14 (1612) and since that time we've picked up 14 minutes of sunshine in the afternoon, simultaneously losing 9 more in the morning. No more. The a.m. workout crew and the commuters can rejoice; we've turned the corner. I probably blabbed about this last year too. Sorry for the repetition. If you don't believe me, check with our friends at the US Navy. I'd rather stick with quality, but Ge was complaining about quantity, so I'm just throwing words and links up.

Welcome back to Bold and also to Josef, who has some cool powder pics from the Alps up, if you're into that sort of thing.



This may seem like a totally random pic, but it needs to run today as part of a much larger undertaking. If all goes well, you'll find out what that's all about 39 days from now. Going back to last week, we don't even need a closeup to see the issues with the pinky fingers.

Since last week was the music post, I'd have run this under the heading of rock and roll, but I didn't get it all setup until yesterday.



I've wanted to try a Rock and Roll ever since they came out, so I bought one. It's a lot quieter than my old Blackburn fan trainer, and even though I did not opt for the "pro" resistance, it's got a lot more than the fan. The rock and roll feature is adjustable. Right now I've got it at the factory default, and it doesn't lean much at all unless you force it. I expect the elastomers might break in a bit. You do see significant up and down bouncing, just like rollers, if you don't pedal smoothly. Only downsides so far are that it weighs a ton (forget portability) and with the wide stance, if I don't stub/break a toe soon, it will be a miracle. I rode it last night for 45 minutes, my first time on the bike in four weeks. My butt got a bit sore, but only in the typical saddle sore way. I'd forgotten all about the wound until halfway through the ride, so that's good. Maybe that was only because I was sensory-deprived...



This ones for you Ge. Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. i think i might be the last person in the civilized word who has never owned an iPod of any flavor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm back!

    thanks for the shout out.

    looking forward to following your adventures, and bird flipping, for another great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh, sensory-depraved? Flash backs from the shrooms, big guy?

    Anyways, The next time you want to hit the Moon, let me know. I like it better than tens. The chicks are lower class and more willing to entertain middle-aged balding perverts like me than the snobs in salisbury. Last fall I had a nice long chat with a tiny tattood wiccan who claimed to be into blood play - something to do with wiccan knife ceremonies - damn, she was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the shoutout, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And oh yeah, it's a 6 speed straight block, 13-18. 39/52 up front. The downtube shifters are out of the photo. Not bad, but with this trainer I might need something smaller for when I need to just spin easy. The 52x13 is OK, but If I had a 54x11 I could really do some stand-up rock and rolling. The brake is an old grey Ultegra single pivot.

    This is my original road bike, an '86 Specialized Allez SE. That was when Specialized was a little company nobody except racers had ever heard of. They imported handmade bikes like this from Japan, and had a nearly identical model made by a US builder for twice the dough. Original parts spec was all their own name, really nice stuff, probably made by Sugino or some other Japanese company. The drivetrain was SunTour Superbe Pro, and it came with an Ultra-6 cluster, using 5 speed spacing with a 6 speed width hub and 126 axle. This allowed and extra 5 mm of washers on the non-drive side, and therefore the rear wheel was built with zero dish. Still a nice frame, rides OK, not exceptionally light but perfectly good. No original parts left on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My winter bike is a Bridgestone RB1 with Shimano 600. Let me see if I can guess what actual races that bike went in... Tour de Lowell, Myles Standish (with a 4 mile finshinh straight), Pemi Valley, 105 TT, Weymouth Crit, Well Ave with the old start finsh by NECN. Or were those races done on the Rossin. That Rossin had a nice paint scheme.

    ReplyDelete