Monday, January 14, 2008

Type Casting

My dedicated readers might be wondering why they've been denied their daily fix of all things solobreak lately. No real reason. I've been more dedicated at work, playing with some new toys at home, and the 2008 training season got underway in earnest, so that's kept me occupied. Mostly though, nothing came together for a decent post. I've got some ideas, and this year I'm supposed to be making stronger efforts to turn ideas into actions, but I still want to do things right.

Thinking about posting, I came up with this idea for a post about posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but I read blogs too, and even though they're all unique in their own way, let's face it - they're all the same. Sort of.

I strive to be original, I really do. Avoiding excessive influence from other blogs isn't easy, and I've touched on this before. Sometimes I find out after the fact that one of my posts bears remarkable similarities to some other posts out there, even though I hadn't seen the other posts prior to formulating mine. Other times I get the notion someone has recycled one of my posts. As noted last week, like-minded people, you know? It happens, so I try to forgive and hopefully be forgiven.

Obviously, a post about the types of blog posts couldn't possibly be an original idea. Someone had to have already covered it, and sure enough, without looking too far, I found a post which examines the topic pretty well. I knew that I'd find that though, so before taking the four seconds to search it out, I jotted down my own ideas. Luckily, the overlap was not too great, and since my own corner of the blogosphere exists within a rather limited scope, my blog types lean more toward specificity. Enough is enough, here you are:


1) The Rant. Already covered, but too important to leave out.

2) The Excuse. Can be anything really, but sometimes it's just some guilt the author wants to let out. See number 4.

3) The Excuse for a Post. May encompass any or none of each other entry on this list. Especially number 10...

4) The "My Life is Great and I Feel Guilty About It" post. You won't need to look too far to find some of these.

5) The "My Life is Great and I want to brag about it" post. Ditto.

6) The "My intelligence has been institutionally validated and I'm going to prove it by incongruously interjecting my latitudinous vocabulary into this periphrastic blog post" post. Perhaps the most contemptible post of all.

7) The "I've surfed the net all day but I have nobody here to talk about it with, so I'm writing this post" post. Hey, they don't call it social networking for nothing.

8) The Sermon. Often intertwined with numbers 4, 5, and 6. Must_resist_saying_any_more_about_this_right_now. Good solobreak, have a biscuit!

9) The Race Report. See number 2 and number 5.

10) The lame list. Need I say more? Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, has the offseason gotten this bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, maybe more than 3 days. My brain has to do something when I'm running around *not* listening to an Ipod. Success is when what goes into the keyboard ends up better than what was flowing through my head.

    ReplyDelete