Friday, February 15, 2008

Solobreak turns two

We made it two years. Last month I hinted about plans for something special to mark the occasion, but alas the special 2nd Anniversary Nodcast never really got off the ground. Maybe I'll finish it up and post it sometime, maybe not. The good news is training and work are what prevented me from working on it. Training has been pretty consistent, and work is very busy but much more fun since changing positions.

The Foxboro 10 miler is up on Sunday. Weather looks decent and the roads should be nice and clear. I'm hoping to run 6:18 or better, basically the same as the Raynham 15k. I've been having fun with the rollers too, nice change of pace. Nursing the knee but so far it seems OK.

I'm trying something else this month too. In order to get the diet back on track, I decided no restaurants or alcohol for six weeks, beginning Feb 3 and running through March 16. Then I'll allow two weeks off this plan, and maybe start another six week block on April 1. For me it's the easiest way to keep my weight in check. Of course, the cafeteria at work can be as bad as a restaurant if you're not careful, but for the most part I'm being careful. Today I decided no muffins either. I rarely buy them anyway. At home the cooking experiments have been going pretty well.

Now it's off to Elite because on Friday's I usually have the plyo room all to myself, save for an occasional fighter or dancer from Alex's. Anyone know where I can get a ballistic cloth (kevlar, etc) sandbag? My sledgehammer workouts are doing a number on the grass in the back yard. The neighbors already think I'm some kind of nut (they probably thought that before I started pounding the ground with a sledgehammer) so I want a sandbag to keep the noise down, but finding something that can survive the impact might be tough. BTW, Verizon must have stopped bugging phonelines long enough to take care of the router congestion that was holding my connection down to 35 Kbps. Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the comments.

5 comments:

  1. Solo:

    Interesting approach to making weight. (It sucks don't it?) I've never tried any sort of on/off approach. For me, I do calorie counting and the scale. And I hate it! (I always leave a few calories for a few drinks, though.) After swimming in college (late 80s) I was 175. (I'm pretty broad and about 6') I stayed that way until the late 90s. Then I had 3 HORRIFIC years. I stopped training hard, had kids, stopped marathoning and racing and BALLOONED up to 210. I stayed that way for 3 SHITTY years. Then I said no more... It took a while but I got back to 175.

    The reality is, it's as much of a commitment (for me) as the workout / racing schedule. I feel like I'm constantly monitoring myself. Depending on the day (the workout) I can have anywhere from 2000-2500 calories. And that ain't a lot.

    This is just me.

    Congrats on turning two. You potty trained?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No alcohol? At least you were smart enough to do that AFTER cross season.

    CU tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, send me your email solobreak at gmail. My weight history is nearly identical to yours. Raced in the low 170s from 86-95, got hurt, went to night school 96-03, cut way back on racing and riding, winter weight peaked at 207, summer "race" weight was about 185. Finished school in 03 and started racing again. Got down to 175 the past two summers, did well maintaining in the winter with running, but this past summer I faced the reality that my body ain't what it used to be at 175. Down under 170 now, determined to stay there. 160 might not be possible, but...

    Brucie, Rox games Rock. The Big B is not dangerous, just entertaining. Compared to EPro its like freaking La Jolla.

    GCD, yeah, I don't drink much unless I go out anyway, but this time around I'm more concerned with upping my (already high) water intake because it seems to help with a lot of things. All these indoor workouts necessitate extra hydration. I may have done too much today and last night, but I feel good about Foxboro. I just *really* need to pace myself the first few miles. I don't think I've ever negative split a race...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can definitely start Foxboro "easy" and still have good splits because it is downhill. No need to hammer. Hold it back and by mile 3 you'll be in good shape.

    I'm going to try and race it in 1/3rds (reasonable, maintain, hammer). Hoping for somewhere in 61 minutes for a finish.

    I've been on the water kick too. at least 64oz/day. Used to seem like a lot. Now it almost seems like too little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy 2nd!

    it seems like only last year when you were just One...

    ReplyDelete