Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Training Partner from Hell

A month ago, Strangelife wrote a post about a guy named Dave. Strangelife's Dave was apparently a guy known for losing his temper on training rides, having emotional outbursts, road raging, and generally not getting along with people. Sounds like a dick, but SL says the man also had some endearing qualities that made other riders welcome him as a training partner, despite his dickheadedness. Hmmm. Sound like anyone we know?

Well, not quite, but the general idea of someone who you want to train with even though he treats you like shit? Could I be that person? I'm not a road rager at all. How about being hard on training partners? Well, maybe. Last week I got called out for being such a dick, by one of the best training partners I ever had. You may have missed it, because it quickly disappeared. If you're a skilled googler, you might be able to find it in their cache. Truth be told, Strangelife's post had me considering penning this post even prior to seeing the other one, but for some reason I couldn't find his the last time I looked. Then when it was pointed out that I was a TRD (training ride dickhead), at first I figured keeping quiet on the entire subject might be prudent. However, today I found Strangelife's post again, and what the hell, I think I can do this right without any confusion, stepping on toes, or failure to protect the innocent. Are you following this at home? Good.

I like to train alone. I always have. I don't need training partners, I enjoy the time by myself, and I focus better without distractions. I firmly believe that a willingness and desire to train alone are essential elements to success. But humans are social beasts. Training with others has its advantages, and there are some things that are better done with another person (duh) or even with a group. That's where you come in.

My problem seems to be an intolerance of numerous behaviors when out training. I've been told by my many, many different training partners that no matter what they do, I seem to be displeased. Too fast, too slow, too far out in the road, not echeloning properly, talking too much, whistling, exaggerated breathing, poor choice of routes, incorrect hand signaling, trying to speak foreign languages that you've no idea how to use and that nobody else on the ride speaks anyway, wearing smelly clothes, not bringing money, being late, being early, attacking and leaving me behind, getting dropped and making me wait, eating too much and farting, not eating enough and bonking, did I leave anything out? See why I'm better off training alone? Yet for some reason I keep getting invited on rides. Sometimes even runs, but that's a discipline where you really want to leave me be.

Does every non-solo ride have to suck? No. I hope my training partners know that. There are those rides that make it all worth it. The ones where you're both, or all, on your limit, but nobody is giving anything away. There's not much talking, much less complaining. Just intensity, the good kind. When it's all done and everyone is wasted and just sitting on the porch or the lawn or whatever, sucking down the last few swigs of liquid out of your last bottle, wiping your brow, and peeling off layers of sticky clothing, no discussion is needed. That's when you just look at each other and know it was a great fucking ride.

Thanks for reading.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmm... come to think of it, there are probably a handful of folks that think i'm a TRD.

    Maybe we should try riding together one of these days. Maybe bring Il Bruce along to keep the pace mellow and to moderate our dickheadedness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the doo doo head for yelling at people to stop being assh*les.

    I can't ride with anyone on NBW rides anymore. The behaviour of the faker racers is awful and the gumbies have no clue. You (I) can't teach them anything even it is to keep them from getting run over.

    Eddie O's rides (when Paulie Mc and the CCB mafia showed up) were fun. Double pacelines. No fuxxing around, no heroes. Just a nice smooth, quick, fuxxing fun ride. We were all about 40 though and the Tri atha-fameets would have been jetisoned early for not getting off the aero bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a back page article in velonews not so long ago about the transfer of knowledge from the experienced riders to the novices. The take from the author was that most of the newbies are riding better bikes than we are and they know it, so they aren't willing to take the advice.

    I have to say though, I've never suffered on-the-bike wrath from Solo. We've gone tete`-a-tete` a few times off the bike, but never on the bike. But, I know me....give it time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I friggin hate road riding with other human beings. And you would hate riding with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, sounds like you

    and I don't "enjoy" training alone, I spend far too much time with myself as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger Zoo said...
    >I don't "enjoy" training alone,
    >I spend far too much time with >myself as it is.

    oh, the euphemisms that come to mind - I'll just stick to popular music:
    Dancin' with myself - Billy Idol
    Turning Japanese - The Vapors
    She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
    I Touch Myself - The Divinyls
    Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
    Icicle - Tori Amos

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you are going to comment, please don't be a dink...

    WTF

    Anyway - yeah - FnF GeSwilli and Il Gordo - perfect combo...

    add in a handful of bitter old guys who've been on and off two wheels since at least 1990 and we'll have a damn good ride... hell everyone in the bunch might actually know how to do a double paceline and how to pick a line without weaving and bopping avoiding shit and pointing and swerving at the same time...

    someone (bruce) should start a list of the most annoying things gumbies freds and kids do on the bike...

    could be a couple dozen top ten lists...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That doesn't make Zoo a bad person. But Zoo, look at it this way, at least you'd be on the bike. A day alone on the bike is a lot better than a day alone on the couch. And after 4 hours alone on the bike, the rest of the day alone on the couch might be welcome too. You have to love to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too train solo 98% of the time, it is my time on the bike to think, and I too hate training with other fuks. When I organize group rides, for me I like the banter 1 day-month, and enjoy some laughs, but I too am better of riding alone. Besides, who the fuk wants to roll out with me at 5am, as I do every weekend....? I know no one on this post does, it has been proven!...

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK. Maybe I'll work on a list. It'll prolly get me banned from the wheelmen...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot half-wheeling. Cough, rightcoast, cough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good points Murat. Rattling bags, no good. We forgot squeaky cleats too, which are only ok if they're mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. CAAAAAARRRRR UUUUUUPPPPP!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. S**t talkers are the worst, especially when they're out of shape. An old roommate of mine used to brag and boast that he could drop me and several of my riding buds. So, on our first ride together we decided to climb Mt. Hamilton in San Jose. It's about 18 miles of mellow climbing.
    Not at all an easy ride - especially for a smack talker. As soon as, and I mean as soon as the climb started he got dropped. Rather than ride at 3 mph I told the crew f**k him. He needs to learn the hard way. Eventually we saw him 2/3 of the way up when we were descending. The time span from droppage to seeing him dying was almost 3 hours. That is still my favorite move on a d**k rider.

    ReplyDelete