Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ten more things about me

I hinted this might be a monthly, and since yesterday's post was already recycling stuff barely a month old, this is all I have. We'll go with a youth sports theme.

1) I was/am the worst basketball player on the planet.

2) I never took swimming lessons.

3) I won first place at my local Ford dealer's Punt, Pass, and Kick competition twice, when I was 9 and again when I was 11. Both times I choked at the subsequent regionals.

4) The only organized league sport I played was four years of Little League baseball, and I still believe this to be the greatest of youth programs.

5) I could skate OK and played some pond hockey, but street hockey was a much bigger deal in my neighborhood. We played for hours a day. "Car!" - (move the nets...)

6) My first golf clubs came from a local yard sale. I played quite a bit at Cedar Hill in Stoughton, but wasn't very good, and I'm still not.

7) In grade school we played "kill the guy with the ball" every day at recess until Gary Mulligan broke his collarbone and the powers that be banned the game.

8) My brother got a stopwatch once and we used to do all kinds of running races. One time we were racing around the outside of the house, and it wasn't until four of us got stung that we realized there was a bee's nest in the hedge, and cutting that corner close was not such a good idea.

9) My favorite gym class was always the obstacle course, which is probably why I enjoy American Gladiators. I was fast too, except you had to sink a basket...

10) I think I spent more time riding my bike than I did in all other youth sports combined.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, Stoughton boy. I think Gary had an older sister and a younger brother, but I can't remember names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His brother Kevin was my college room mate.

    ReplyDelete