Saturday, June 14, 2008

Gumby Hunting



I didn't want to write this, as I'm not a sucky meanie (like so many bloggers...) but then I read not one, but two blogs making Celine Dionne references casting her in a positive light, thus it was this or poking out my eyes and eardrums with a dull letter opener, so here you go. I've got maybe eight minutes until my frozen pizza is ready to consume, and I've got to split that between writing and enjoying a Kirin Ichiban Special Reserve, which, btw, tastes just like the old school Schaefer Dad used to drink. Very appropriate, with this being father's day and all.

True Gumby Hunting, in case you're wondering, was taught to me by the legendary Buzz Tarlow, a rower , cyclist, and wannabee coach from the olden days of the BRC. The idea is for a seasoned and trained bike racer to patrol the roadways on a sunny summer Saturday. What's so special about that? He/she goes in disguise: old bike, preferably a 3-speed Raleigh with a bell, baggy shorts, and an old Bell Biker helmet. You troll the popular routes, waiting for Tommy Tube Socks to come flying by in his Discovery jersey (ok, in those days it would have been 7-11). On his no doubt new bike, he'll give you a look of disdain as he flies past. You get on his wheel. If he looks back, ring the bell, and maybe give a spastic, short bus wave. He'll up the pace...



If you're any good, Tommy should be no match for you, even though your equipment is severely outclassed. After all, you're on his wheel, and you're a racer, and he's still reading Bicycling. The game should play out pretty quickly - within a mile or two, Tommy should be sprinting and ready to blow. When the moment comes, you cruise by, jing-a-ling! Buzz claimed he used to do this for hours out on the Charles. More fun than real racing!

Today I did not set out to go gumby hunting. In fact, since my form has suddenly vanished, I just headed out for a very easy ride, wearing my normal team kit, head to toe. I wasn't riding an old 3-speed, just my fourteen year old pseudo-Slim Chance (it's an employee bike, so the frame was somewhat mongrelized), which I recently rebuilt from the frame up with every piece brand new except the front hub, seat, and seatpost (and I have new stuff for those too, just haven't put them on). I felt pretty crappy at first, but after ten miles or so my legs came around a bit and I upped my pace down a flat stretch of road that I ride often. At the end, turning right, I shut it down and was sipping my water when I heard a bit of a grunt, not really a hello, more of an "out of the way, chump" as two guys on aerobars raced past. Triathletes... And they say roadies have no manners... At first I just let them go, as my general rule is never, ever race anyone you run into out on the road, unless of course you know them. But then a third guy comes by, clearly struggling to get up to the other two, and he's a big guy, grinding a huge gear, basically humping his bike like a bag of Baltimore garbage. A sight to behold.

I'm now about ten bike lengths back, taking it all in. The road starts to rise and the first two bog down (obviously gassed from showing me who's boss...) enough for Humpy to grind his way past. The second guy, who we'll call Jaja (he's wearing a circa 1999 Tiscali jersey) hangs back a bit himself, at least creating the illusion that he's training for no-drafting triathlon. The first guy, in a plain kit, harbors no such qualms and would probably have hitched up the tow hook if he had one. For lack of a better name, we'll call him Jeff Gordon (I'd call him David Pearson, but most of you probably aren't old enough to know who he is/was). On another aside, don't ever where a pro team kit unless you're on that team, or it's at least ten years out of date. So Jaja was almost within the rules. KAS, Molteni, or La Vie Claire? No problem. But put that Discovery jersey away until at least 2017, ok Greg?.

Over the crest, Humpy is showing us what he's got. Jeff Gordon is on his bumper. Jaja is keeping pace from the legal minimum three bike length distance, and I'm still rolling along about forty meters back, fighting the temptation to drop the hammer. Patience, patience... I let them go, maybe a hundred meters, then up my tempo just to see if I can close the gap. Not a problem, but it's work. Not something I could do on a 3-speed anyway. Gumby hunting ain't what it used to be, and neither am I. We take a turn and I give them back their hundred meters...

Now these are roads I ride all the time, so I know every rise and dip, and there are two little rises coming up. On queue, Humpy detonates on the first one, and the other two just leave him for dead. Jeff Gordon wants no part of the front though, so he let's Jaja come through, and jumps on his wheel. The pace rises, so I start to close it back up before the second rise. Going past Humpy, I try to get him to get on my wheel and bring him back, but his efforts have left him in the twilight zone. Buh-bye.

Now, drafting off the first two and then dropping them on the rise would be too easy, so I hang back about ten bike lengths, and stay there for a mile or two. Jeff Gordon looks over his shoulder to check for Humpy, and of course does a double take before urging Jaja to pick it up and get rid of me. Perfect. Why am I even enjoying this? Have I sunk this low? Yes I have, and I roll past on the rise, making sure I'm riding on the tops for effect. I know Jaja has been on the front for five minutes and doesn't have a chance, but I take it up a gear just in case Jeff Gordon gets any ideas. Then another, then another, and by now I'm in the 14 and going over 40 kph, and I never see them again.



This story has no moral. And my pizza is done. And it's time for another beer. Happy Father's Day, and thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. in an hour or so i'll do a recovery ride in and around sudbury (in town at the outlaws)... the poaching... it's going to be like wild kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably one of those Gumbys that you enjoy hunting, although I wear no professional kit (I am a bit of a subtle guy and tend to wear generic REI stuff except for my tri club tops).

    I have, however, spent more on my tri bike than I should have and, at 57 years old, tend to still bog down on hills. I do try to be polite and always wave at other bikers and am just out there doing the best I can with what I have.

    And I'll be huffing and puffing next week at Ironman CDA getting passed by younger, older, slimmer and fatter racers of all genders and persuasions. But I will be smiling!

    I trust you will say hello as you and/or your brethern fly by me on your way to your next hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Davey... Can clay-mation figures go to hell? Even if we are Lutherans?

    I used to prefer to just hang back a few hundred feet matching their pace. Watch them swerve all over the place trying to look over their shoulder. I'd only pass once they detonated.

    Al, try the small ring. Not sure what triathletes have against it.

    XO,

    Goliath

    ReplyDelete
  4. THere was an 'at the back' story in velonews about 15 years ago talking specifically about this game, though he had no name for it.

    His haunt were college campuses, and his bike of choice was a schwinn ten-speed, and I remember the quote "it must weigh at least 25 pounds".

    He relayed the story of a wannabe, fully decked out, ridiculously high end bike, and the other quite I remember "right down to his campy titanium toe-clips". That gives you a time frame.

    It turns out the wannabe said something dismissive when the protagonist attempted polite conversation, and then my favorite quote "he might as well have said 'your mamma'".

    If I remember correctly, the hero didn't blow off the wannabe, he just sat on the wannabes wheel and wouldn't let him get away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember the Hilldebrand list from the days before the 'net? There was a not-so-subtle distinction between a Gumby and a Fred (or Wilma). A newbie all decked out with pro equipment is technically a Fred. A gumbie is more the flag-bearing casual cyclist on the old Fuji. So the purest form of this sport should probably be called "Fred Hunting" but that just doesn't have the same ring to it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. how about formerly-in-shape-people-who-race-with hairly-legs? What do you call those. I know a guy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years ago I was in LA on business. I got out for an after dark ride on The Strand (paved bike path from Santa Monica through Venice Beach) with my HID light. There's a long, isolated section near LAX where I wound it up pretty good on my mountain bike with knobbie tires. I gained on a roadie, forget what pro kit he was sportin', riding some high-zoot bike. As I approached, it became increasingly difficult to close the gap. But I did. He no doubt could hear my loudly buzzing tires as I got close. It must have really bugged him. He cranked it up from 20mph to 25mph. I could not have passed him at that speed without eventually blowing up, so I patiently waited for him to relent. After a few miles, he pulled off the strand instead. He was not going to get passed by a dude whose bike made as much noise as a truck.

    ReplyDelete