Thursday, June 26, 2008

How's that easy month going?

First off, let's begin with me expressing my disappointment with the lack of reader participation in the fashion quiz. Just for that, you're going to have to wait a few days (or more) for the rich photo expose. Fuckers.

So the month is almost over, and with it ends Q2 2008 as well. May ended up looking good on paper, with a few top 10's in tough races, a duathlon win, and nearly sixty hours worth of workouts logged. Yet somehow I managed to also add 3-4 kilos to my mass. I don't have a good explanation, other than maybe those "supplements" Whitey gave me at Battenkill. Stuff must really work...

I knew at the time I was feeling pretty tired, and I talked myself into taking the month of June off from racing, even though there were some events I normally look forward to competing in. Taking a few weeks to let my both my body and bank account rebuild seemed like a good idea. But I fucked it up. I'm still tired, I'm still poor, and the extra kilos are still there. What went wrong? Well, looking back, even though I did manage to make myself skip all the weekend USCF races, the diary still includes three training crits, two five mile running races, a ten mile trail run, and a 100k pseudo time trial training ride in 90 degree heat (3:03 sans aero equipment and with heavy wheels, in case you're wondering). Other than that, I mostly took it easy...

33 total hours in 25 days. That might be a good rest for a real athlete, but I guess it's not for an old slug like me. Last night I went out on one of my typical summertime sunset cruises, and I was no match for even the five year olds with crooked helmets out learning to ride. Lifeless. It's a good excuse to sit here and write this rather than going out to run though, right? Tonight, hopefully the rain will hold off as a bunch of us are going to the Rox game. We'll be in right field or at the beer stand if you want to stop by.

Last but not least, somehow I missed the fact that Ironman CdA was last weekend. Congrats to Spokane Al and Bolder for taking this on and living to tell about it. Hopefully we can pull these two over to the dark side of bike racing sometime in the future. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment