Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hardware



At long last, here's the newly rebuilt Slim Chance. The frame was built in the old Somerville shop in the summer of 1994. It's not stock, as it was an employee bike and he scrounged/played around with tubing choices. It has fat Yo Eddy straight chainstays mixed with some lighter than standard main tubes. I had it repainted at IF a few years ago. For this build, I tried an Easton EC30 carbon fork, as this was all I could find in a 1 inch headtube size. It seems pretty good, lively yet still stiffer than the old steel unit. The rest of the build is mostly 10 speed Dura-Ace, with skimpage on the calipers and front changer, which are Ultegra. I sourced a proper 17 degree drop level Ritchey stem, which is paired with 3T bars. It probably wouldn't have killed me to leave another 5 mm or so on the head tube, but it's too late now. I like the fit. The bike comes in at under 20 elbows as pictured with open 4 wheels. It rides so sweetly. My favorite bike is always going to be the one that doesn't creak!



Last night at Wompatuck, the thunderclouds opened up as soon as I got on my (other) bike. I got to spend 40 minutes waiting it out under a tree with the best bike rider ever to come out of Brockton. We had a delightful conversation covering a wide range of topics, including the always entertaining tales of the D3 Pro life on the road. Eventually the storm relented and we got under way for a 20 lap race. The field was small and the course was a mess so Adam bailed and headed back home because he had a morning flight to a race in Texas. Lucky him.



As you can see, since the Wompatuck course gets covered in leaves, pine needles, and general muck when it rains hard, so does your bike by the time you're done. Was this a 'cross race or something? Everyone stayed up, though some of the regulars really need to branch out and race elsewhere once in a while in order to improve their skills. Skip was getting very irritated with the way some of these guys were slowing for the turns, which weren't all that slick. My legs sucked, so I felt like I was between gears all night, but I still got in a few efforts and made the trip down worthwhile before returning home for beer, nachos, and basketball on TV. Tomorrow night will be the Squantum 5, and then maybe a running break. I'm really not sure what to do. On one hand I know the running is f'ing up my bike legs, but on the other I'm considering that this may be the only way to HTFU and get used to doing two sports at once. Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. "the best bike rider ever to come out of Brockton"

    ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam "perforated" Myerson?

    Every time he condescended to speak at me was a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the olive branch...

    I'll try to let it go. He just seems so angry.

    He seems to get along with Dawn and she's a ball buster.

    Wadda ya mean? Mrs. M and the M family were glad to have you join us at the speedway. Your a nice fellow, sort of.

    If we ever get the cookout together I'll get some vegan stuff for Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had a problem with adam, but I know others that have. I like him, he's never condescended me or shown me disrespect in any way, and has even gone out of his way to say hi to me at races and other events. HE even mediated when JD and I had an issue - JD and I are friends now too.

    BTW - I forgot to comment on the Slim Chance, nice work. I'm actually kind of inspired to build up my Kellog SLX frame now, though I think I'll do it with all the left over early '90s campy chorus stuff, 6 speed freewheel and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a googlead for Campy new-old-stock with your comment. Speaking of which, I have a new in the box set of vintage 1991 Chorus single pivot brakes, white hoods, the whole bit, even an extra set of Campy cables that I'd like to convert to cash. They'd look great on that frame of yours... I've been trying to get $150, but for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a really nice bike. great color, too. Needs white bartape, though. (wait for it...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a really nice bike. great color, too. Needs white bartape, though. (wait for it...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude I just ebay'd a 1" Ritchey fork... wish I had known. Still got a 1" Cane Creek headset if you're building up more old bikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. solobreak said...
    I have a new in the box set of vintage 1991 Chorus single pivot brakes....

    Thanks, but the only parts I'm actually missing are the bottom bracket and seat post, though I _could_ use a new set of those white brake hoods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've got a well used chorus (aero) single bolt 27.2 seat post kicking around....

    ReplyDelete