Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Repeat

Last night's Wompatuck went almost exactly the same as last week's, so you can just refer back a few entries for the lowdown. Actually, I got there a bit late this week and missed the start while irrigating the bushes, so I had to chase for a half lap, adding some excitement. After that it was much the same, sat in some, then went up front for a bit. At 13 to go I ended up in a series of attacks/reshufflings of the front group that lasted until about 5 to go. It seemed pretty easy to me but the other riders (except for one or two) seemed to be suffering. That really fast young kid was riding like a juvenile, not fun to be around. Someday (probably soon) he'll have his first really bad crash and then we'll see if he's still so ballsy.

At the end I again just rode the train while the herd thinned, got pushed into the woods by my buddy Colman at about 500 meters out, but managed to dance along the pine needles and get on his wheel until he faded off in the final 200. With the line in sight I thought I might have a shot but an NEBC guy, who was the only one on the left side where I was, died at the end and I checked up a touch before getting around him. The 3 man sprint for the win was going up the right by then, and at the last second a Union Velo guy (might be N. Hall?) stormed by, relegating me once again to 5th.

I was getting excited about doing so well at the 'tuck this year, but when I think about it the field just hasn't been too deep these two weeks. Half the group is the local red and yellow team, many of whom don't race anywhere outside of the park and just follow wheels and ride in circles for fun. Then a bunch of the rest are the Boston guys who ride/race down in a big group and look half-knackered by the time they get to the starting line. That leaves about ten guys who are willing/able to make it fast. It will pick up later in the year I'm sure.

Three races in four days has left me pretty tired too, so I'm off the bike today. I brought my running shoes, so if I get out of here soon enough maybe I'll do my Blue Hill trail run. Monday night was my first run since the duathlon, and I only did 3.5 miles. I need to keep it up at least a little in order to have some legs for the next few duathlons. Thanks for reading another boring post!

No comments:

Post a Comment