Monday, August 27, 2007

Ameri-Trash Monday

Monday is trash day around here. Normally I don't generate too much. Last week's bike room post made me think that maybe I should. One discovery was that a 700c wheel would actually fit in the trash bin without interfering with the cover closing. That's a bonus because once Mr. Trash Collector has the bin hooked up the hydraulic lift, he ain't stopping the dump for anything short of a glowing hunk of spent uranium. It was a small chip off the massive junk block, but I didn't think I'd see any future use for a bent-axled 600 hub laced to an Araya box rim. I think this wheel was stock issue on my old Nishiki TT bike. So off it went.

I have another wheel that is going today, off some junker bike. I'm not sure how it ended up here. There are a few others that will never see service too, but even with torched races and bent axles, old Super Record hubs can always be converted to a small amount of cash from some joker with a Campy monkey on his back. There's other junk that should go too, but it will wait. Little by little the pile of rubble must be reduced. I also stumbled across a bunch of sections of rebar in the basement. These were all cut to length for securing 2x12 planks to the ground for cross barriers. These are heavy and I don't think Allied Waste would tolerate them like they did an easily crushed wheel. Let me know if you're local and setting up a practice course and we can arrange a hostage swap.

The Saco Criterium on Saturday went really well for Team BOB. The results have not gone up on bikereg as of this morning, but Jumpin' Jimmy Breen won the Cat 4/5 race in a field sprint. Breen was lookin' pretty lean too. In the 45+ race, the BOB "A" team of the Cronoman, Tim-mee!, Duano, Gregor, Big John C, Fast John G, and of course me dominated the event. Gearworks was not there, but the rest of the field was pretty strong. We may have let one $10 prime get away, but Big John took the first of two $50 primes, and I took the second, then John G scored a $20 on the subsequent lap. After that Gregor infiltrated a six man move that was going away. I started to try to bridge, but John G was heading up the other side even faster, so I sat up going into the corner, allowing him to scoot across. John G was our man for the sprint, so the rest of us shut down (what was left of) the field and the break was gone. The technical course made chasing difficult and our job was easy. Gregor neutralized any attempts to split the break, and John G delivered the goods by taking the sprint to give Team BOB our first 45+ win of the season! Yee-hah. We may not be the best climbing team out there, but put us in a tight, bang your pedals on the pavement in every corner crit like this one and we have the right people. It felt good to finally put it together with the entire team firing hard. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment