Monday, August 13, 2007

Not a man for the cols

My performance at the Mount Agamenticus Time Trial was not all I'd hoped for. This race is not exactly a hill climb, although it's predominantly uphill, and has a stiff climb at the end. However, the first 3.5 miles are flat. Aerobars are not allowed, in part because the course includes a dirt road, which was a bit rough this year, but not too bad. I did use my aero helmet, even though I knew it might be a bit warm on the final climb. I think this was a good decision.

I felt like I was flying on the opening section, averaging about 42.5 kph up until the first climb, where I think I undergeared. I had gone a bit too deep on the flats (seem to be making a habit of that this year) and for the rest of the race every time I dug down the slightest bit, I went over the edge and right into the red zone. From the start ramp to the dirt section took me about 13:20, probably 30 seconds faster than last year. Then things started to unravel. From there to the base of the access road took me about 5:15, only 10 seconds faster than last year, despite getting a wheel change in 2006. So really I must have ridden this at least 45 seconds slower. The final climb took 4:41 this year, ~20 seconds more than last year. My finish time ended up at 23:17, only a slight improvement over the flat-delayed 2006 mark of 23:39. I was totally gassed at the finish too.

Interestingly, overall winner Donnie Mills clocked 21:12, taking 125 seconds out of me. At the 2007 WMSR TT just one month ago, he only beat me by 17 seconds. Factoring in the greater length of the Mt A race, make it the equivalent of around 30 seconds advantage on a flatter WMSR-style course. So I really suck on the uphill, at least compared to Donnie. Oh well, on to the Stillwater 40k. Thanks for reading.

1 comment: