Wednesday, November 14, 2007

American Gothic - CX Style



Not sure how much style is in this photo. Gewilli and his cookies pose with The Cronoman in front of the West Hill Shop. This photo reminded me of something else that happened this weekend. After the running race in Bristol, I was inside the school, doing some stretches in the gym. They had a doctor's scale there. I haven't measured my height in quite a while. So I get on, hold my head up high, and it's barely 70 inches. WTF? I used to be just under six feet. Shrinkage. When I started walking on the cuffs of 34 inseam pants, I thought it was just because Levi's changed their sizing model. Old age sucks. There is some good news though. I found when buying all my new Ibex clothes, I no longer need XL for length or girth, huh-huh. Just easy to find L stuff.

Speaking of old and dry-rotted, check out the front tire that carried me around at Farmington:




Nice huh? The thing was herniated in about 8 places. Bummer too, as the new Mud2s are not quite as wide as these older ones. I ran a skinny Schwalbe CX Comp on the front at Putney, not exactly confidence inspiring, but what the hell. This ain't Rabobank. Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. there's a ton of style in that photo because me and my pink jersey are results-whoring in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - you would bring up 'you'

    oh and solo - did ya run a CX pro in the rear?

    i was envious of the front tire there - looked like a better choice for the sticky stuff than the Racing Ralph i was running...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. I had an old-style Mud on the rear, sans dry rot. I thought about swapping them front to back, but I'm lazy. The Muds have been great on the grass courses. In the cornfield during warmups, I got sideways a couple of times, but didn't go down, so I figured the setup must be OK.

    Narrow is supposed to be better for really mucky stuff. I'm not sure, I usually avoid it altogether.

    So the Ralph's you only like for grass? Too big or too tight knobs?

    Withholding Colin comments until after I get to meet him in person...

    ReplyDelete
  4. the raplphs were pretty good, the did clean out very quickly and roll smooth on hard pack.

    They grip grass like velcro and break loose very predictably.

    But they are pretty fat, i might have been able to take the last two turns in the corn field a bit faster with a different tire.

    In the dayville mud the ralphs hooked up crazy well. but that was the wet loamy type mud. Putney had clay. I maybe should have run the vreds, but i liked having the extra air volume through the bumpy woops and stuff... I'm just thinkin about getting a set of the CX Pros for next year... for courses like putney (and others if they had any rain).

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were very inexpensive, but they're pretty narrow, not much air volume.

    ReplyDelete
  6. clearly, no one rocks a tupperware of cookies like GEWILLI-MAN!

    great shot, nice capture, and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete